It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 17:57
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

akmccallumco

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Grumman Freighter canoe
PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 06:02 

Anyone have fishing experience out of a 19 ft Grumman Freighter canoe? I have a 17 ft double end Grumman and would like to know how much more stable the 19 ft square back one is? I would like to use it in the river and in big lakes, also in an electric only lake near where I live. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Todd

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 10:54 
Donor

Look up a Grumman Sport Boat. They are very stable, wide, and still in the traditional canoe configuration.

PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 16:20 

Thanks I've seen them. They're about 4 feet too short. A 17 or 19 foot one would be great.

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 09:42 

Has anybody been in a Sport Boat. How did it compair to a flat bottom or Vee hull?

Arizona

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 09:47 

That thing looks like it would haul ass with a small OB engine

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 10:51 

I knew a couple of guys (on-line) who used freighters; Both were Canadians. One was a moose hunter and used one with a ?10hp? to go back to his hunting area and, at least once, to transport himself, his hunting partner and a a quartered moose back out. I tried to find the site and thread, but it seems to have disappeared.

The other was a RCMP Constable, and he'd posted a few shots of local population hunters, one of which included a freighter.

I think, when Grumman sold their business to Marathon, the product changed. I believe they made shorter square sterns, and of thinner aluminum.

Here's one site I found, but it may be too general for you.

http://www.canoeing.com/canoes/specialt ... estern.htm

From what I'd seen and read, the Freighter was an industrial-strength craft, made to carry more than a thousand pounds of freight, as well as the passengers. I don't know what rating for horsepower they set.

Best wishes.

1955 Alumacraft Model A
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 08&start=0
1959 Alumacraft Model F
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25386
1980 Alumacraft Model F7, 1955-56? Johnson 10hp
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35326
1956 Alumacraft Model RB
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39249

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2016, 11:48 

Kismet wrote:
I knew a couple of guys (on-line) who used freighters; Both were Canadians. One was a moose hunter and used one with a ?10hp? to go back to his hunting area and, at least once, to transport himself, his hunting partner and a a quartered moose back out. I tried to find the site and thread, but it seems to have disappeared.

The other was a RCMP Constable, and he'd posted a few shots of local population hunters, one of which included a freighter.

I think, when Grumman sold their business to Marathon, the product changed. I believe they made shorter square sterns, and of thinner aluminum.

Here's one site I found, but it may be too general for you.

http://www.canoeing.com/canoes/specialt ... estern.htm

From what I'd seen and read, the Freighter was an industrial-strength craft, made to carry more than a thousand pounds of freight, as well as the passengers. I don't know what rating for horsepowernew they set.

Best wishes.

That's a great link. Who knew there were so many square back canoes. The Grummen 15 and 19 are made from the only material worth considering. Aluminum. Surface drive mud motor and one of those would be a hoot.

Arizona

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]