It is currently 15 Jul 2018, 15:34
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

SliderG5

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2016, 22:40 

richg99 wrote:
Brings up the need for a safety chain in front. I've seen $$$$ boats being hauled with nothing more than the strap holding the bow eye.

The ONLY thing that is keeping that strap on tight is a 1/2 inch piece of metal called a Pawl (inside of the winch). With all of the weight; wind resistance and strain of a boat travelling 70 mph down the road, these guys are relying on that Pawl (and/or the strap) to never let go.

On occasion, I've bought boats far from home. I immediately stopped at a hardware store and bought a piece of chain and a hook and made a safety chain. I wouldn't drive two miles without one.

richg99

And the only thing that holds that pawl in place is a flimsy little spring. The spring on the winch for my EZ Loader trailer broke after only a couple uses. My safety chain (shortened so there it's barely long enough to hook up) is always on because the winch strap never stays tight. I have a 2" ratchet strap across the rear of the boat.

PostPosted: 01 Sep 2016, 20:57 

I got a new boat this spring. It had a boat buckle web strap to hold the bow down on the trailer. I replaced it with a real chain. Now I use the strap to hold my cover down over the rail. I think the previous owner put a new trolling motor on because the custom cover doesn't fit quite right now.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Minn-Kota Terrova 24V 80# Thrust Trolling Motor w/ I-pilot
2006 Dodge Durango SLT (Bright Blue) 4.7L Next Generation V8

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 22:20 

KMixson wrote:
If you want to see something funny, go sit at a boat ramp and watch the boaters attempt to launch and load their boats. It is a sight to see.

You would have been laughing at me today. I launched a boat for the first time today and it took awhile. I have to get used to backing up with a trailer.

sent from the middle of a corn field.

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2016, 22:31 

Everybody has to learn sometime. It is best to go to a large empty parking lot. Churches during the week. Doctor offices on weekends.

Bring some garbage cans...and practice. Lots better than trying to back down with an audience.

richg99

Karl Pearson"

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2016, 10:39 

We all have moments that we would rather forget. It happens. For instance, once I launched the boat and when I got to my fishing spot I found that I had left all my rods and reels in the back of my pickup back at the ramp. I felt like an idiot. Luckily they were still there when I returned to get them. If you have a perfect record you have not launched a boat many times.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2016, 11:53 

Luckily the lake i went to has very little boat traffic might see 10 boats in a weekend. I fish this lake all the time because it is close to me but it does have a long steep boat ramp that is narrow so I was up and down it alot yesterday trying to get it straight.

sent from the middle of a corn field.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016, 13:50 

I back down the ramp. The boat is in the water. Why isn’t it floating off? Tap the brakes to give it a little nudge. Still nothing. Oops, bow eye still attached. I do this about half the time. Wife says I have selective memory – maybe she is right.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016, 14:49 

I just added retractable transom tie-downs.

Guess who couldn't get his boat off of the trailer the last time out??? I've only done this a thousand times or more.

Anything new messes me up. People talking to me while I am getting ready to launch is worse!

Ha Ha...richg99

Karl Pearson"

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2016, 15:42 

Funny how almost of those were big very expensive glass boats! I always have 3 ratchet straps across my little 14 footer that weighs less than 200lb!

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2016, 00:25 

Around 2003 I was driving east on hwy 17 near Hertford N.C. early in the morning; Came across a beautiful, brand new , huge 25'+ twin outboard offshore boat on the side of the road. There was nobody there. The Boat was also headed east and I could see a long white line/gouge in the road the keel made as the boat slid down the road and across the opposite lane all the way to the boat. It slid about 300 yrds down the highway. There was a dip/hump in the road that apparently caused the boat to fall off the trailer. The fact that nobody was with the boat made me think it may have been stolen. All I could think about was what it would feel like to look down the road and see a huge boat coming at me and crossing into my lane !

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3