It is currently 17 Nov 2018, 04:49
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 09:00 

If you want to see something funny, go sit at a boat ramp and watch the boaters attempt to launch and load their boats. It is a sight to see.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 14:33 

"mine is kinda rusty and is my next project"....

An interesting thing that I learned when I installed my last new winch.

When I was all finished with the install, i cranked the strap up really tight. Drove off to my boat barn (two miles away). I then noticed that the strap was a bit loose. I tightened it up AGAIN really tight. When I went fishing and had to tow her 85 miles; I stopped about half way. Checking the strap, it was LOOSE AGAIN. I tightened her up and wondered what was going on.

What I learned was that my Really Tight wasn't Really Tight ENOUGH. The strap has to almost bury itself to be fully tight. Also, it has a tendency to stretch some at first. Those two factors caused the strap to loosen.

Imagine a 2000 lb. boat, traveling at 70 miles per hour, with wind and acceleration issues, the strap is under tremendous pressure. It gradually tightened itself up..... after I stopped and checked it for the first two or three trips.

Just FYI !! richg99

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 14:40 

KMixson wrote:
If you want to see something funny, go sit at a boat ramp and watch the boaters attempt to launch and load their boats. It is a sight to see.

I used to have a boat that I could sleep on. It was slipped across from a public launch.

it was great when the fish were not biting just to sit and watch the fun

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=40127

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 15:06 

wow. my problem sometimes is i get excited and forget to unhook the rear straps at launch time.........

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 15:10 

Tie downs.....Yea, I tried to launch my boat that way a couple of times. Ha richg99

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2016, 21:01 

Gotta tie down that boat. Especially if you have glide sticks on the bunks.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37700
DN13 on the run (video)
http://vid1346.photobucket.com/albums/p ... 3ciqmm.mp4

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 04:15 

sonny.barile wrote:
Gotta tie down that boat. Especially if you have glide sticks on the bunks.

But then we wouldn't get to watch them slide off on the highway. :LOL2:

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 12:21 

Jinx'd me by watching this yesterday - last night the two rivets holding the handle to the front of my 1436 sheered off when trying to load my boat on at the launch...

Fortunately I had plenty of ratchet straps & was able to more or less mummify the boat to the trailer for the trip home...my fault - should have replaced the rivets with stainless hardware.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 13:26 

Happens to everybody. What's the old saying.."We never have enough time to do it right, but make the time to do it over." Been there, done that. Too many times.

You were lucky you had the right gear, with you, to get her home.

regards, richg99

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 13:45 

Yup - it wasn't on my radar as the unoccupied boat is really not that heavy. Probably wouldn't have happened had I been anywhere but this particular boat launch - it's very steep - so steep you have to be careful approaching it or you will bottom out your trailer tongue. I replaced my rollers with 2x6 bunks which I'm sure add friction when trying to trailer too.

For two hours on a lake where they keep chemically poisoning everything in a vain effort to keep the mansion's beach front clear of weeds it was a nice slap in the face to go with the complete waste of time my fishing effort turned out to be.

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2016, 16:12 

Hmmmm...might want to think about some vinyl siding to top those bunks with. Slicks are great!

My Texas lake isn't poisoned, but they do have a load of grass carp in there to remove ALL OF THE WEEDS. They also add a bluish dye to be VERY CERTAIN that no weeds grow. Somehow, the 1 to 3 lb bass keep on keeping on. Its a pleasure to go out and catch 4 or 5 in an hour, drifting the shoreline with my kayak.

Then, I get back here to a similar small lake in TN. Five hours, two guys, 7 total bass, the largest five weighed in at a whopping 6.92 lbs....and that was the very best that 15 boats could do! Sheesh! richg99

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 10:40 

I wish they'd use grass carp rather than dump whatever chemical they use in there. Vinyl gutters cut lengthwise right? I'll have to look into doing that b/c I don't want to damage the front of the boat having to drag it up the bunks by the strap on the front handle. I think i'll have to switch to 2x4 bunks to make the gutters fit though.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2016, 21:52 

I don't run a safety chain up front, but I do run transom straps and a transom saver on the back religiously. The transom saver would help keep it from climbing into the truck bed, and the transom straps would help it from sliding too far either direction. It's part of my routine when launching or loading, so much so it messes me up if someone else tries to help me by R&R'ing them. If my bow strap loosens up even a bit I can feel the bow bounding on the winch post, so I feel pretty comfy with my rig the way it is, but I should put a safety chain on the front anyway.

I've seen more than a few boats dumped on the ramp by someone unhooking the bow before backing in too.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 06:11 

Years back I watched a guy remove the bow safety chain before backing down the ramp. It was at least a 28 -30 footer with twin outboards on an older trailer. Part way down the ramp the winch strap decided to say adios and the boat slid off. All of it's considerable weight rested on the skegs and the very end of the trailer with the bow pointing towards the sky. Several of us tried to help but with out equipment there wasn't much we could do. Must have been an expensive day for him.

Since then I replace my winch strap every 3 years and don't unhook the safety chain until the boat is in the water.

2001 16' Lund 25 Yamaha ... SOLD
various sailboats

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2016, 11:42 
Donor

And this, my friends, is what keeps all our insurance rates so high.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next