UPDATE: This could be coming to your state soon

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.
RiverBottomOutdoors

This could be coming to your state soon

Post by RiverBottomOutdoors » 17 Sep 2014, 03:27

nsjames » Yesterday, 4:26 pm wrote:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 02 Sep 2014, 13:16 wrote:Not that big of a deal. If it will help stop the spread of invasive species, seems like outdoorsmen would lend their support. My home town lake has areas that are choked by hydrilla so thick it looks like you could walk across it.

A private company is probably much better than giving the funds to the definition of inefficiency: government.
not that big of a deal to extort $10 out of people that are merely driving through the state?

What if a state decided that you must pay for a vehicle inspection for merely driving through? Think that would fly?

I am not against protecting the ecologies of our rivers and waterways, ubt to make someone purchase a sticker under the guise of an education program when they aren't even going to put their boat or trailer into the water is wrong.
$10...james....$10. You would think that someone who loves the outdoors could get over that small price to pay to help preserve an ecosystem. I guess some can't.

TexasLoneStar56
Donor

Post by TexasLoneStar56 » 17 Sep 2014, 07:10

True. Passing through is one thing, but entering a body of water is another. We must preserve our rivers and lakes. $10 is a small price to pay to help accomplish that.

Hydrilla is not native to us. It was brought in on boats from other states, as I'm sure it was brought in to them from other places. It can sure take over a body of water in a matter of a year. Like another guy said, looks like you can walk across it. And the more you rake it out of a swimming area, the more you spread their seeds. Been there, done that.

All in all, we all must work together for the preservation of our waters. :D

Keith
Texas
Treating others as we want to be treated makes for a happy life!

1956 Lone Star Clipper 16' powered by 1960 Mercury 400E "Miss Fifty-Six"
14' Ouachita Flat Bottom powered by 1971 Johnson 9.5 "Desert Storm"

Keystone
Donor

Post by Keystone » 17 Sep 2014, 07:27

$10...james....$10. You would think that someone who loves the outdoors could get over that small price to pay to help preserve an ecosystem.

Since I never trailer my boat into another state, $10 isn't a big deal. Just add it on to the price of the boat registration. BUT, as the title says, this could 9most likely will) spread to other states. Now I have to have a trailer full of decals just to trailer across a few states. People driving through Minnesota to another state should not have to have this decal. There has not been one case of an infestation from the Interstate (or any roadway). It would be more likely that Waterfowl would do damage than a trailer passing through.
T.G.I.F. !!
Thank God I Fish
2014 G3 V167T Angler a.k.a. The Esox Lucius
Yamaha F40LA, MinnKota V2 PD45, Humminbird 581i HD DI Combo
U.S. Army 95BZ6 1979-1990
Originally from Bucks County, PA
Now Call Minnesota home....

nsjames

Post by nsjames » 17 Sep 2014, 09:34

RiverBottomOutdoors » 17 Sep 2014, 03:27 wrote:
nsjames » Yesterday, 4:26 pm wrote:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 02 Sep 2014, 13:16 wrote:Not that big of a deal. If it will help stop the spread of invasive species, seems like outdoorsmen would lend their support. My home town lake has areas that are choked by hydrilla so thick it looks like you could walk across it.

A private company is probably much better than giving the funds to the definition of inefficiency: government.
not that big of a deal to extort $10 out of people that are merely driving through the state?

What if a state decided that you must pay for a vehicle inspection for merely driving through? Think that would fly?

I am not against protecting the ecologies of our rivers and waterways, ubt to make someone purchase a sticker under the guise of an education program when they aren't even going to put their boat or trailer into the water is wrong.
$10...james....$10. You would think that someone who loves the outdoors could get over that small price to pay to help preserve an ecosystem. I guess some can't.

obviously you fail to see the larger picture. This isn't about what it costs or what it's for, but is about the fact that a state has decided that they can force you to pay a private company for any reason, merely by being in that state, and on a federal road.

again, what if they decided that upon entering the state you had to pay to have a safety inspection done by a private company? Would you object then? It's for your own safety after all.
enjoy your massively bloated government.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Post by RiverBottomOutdoors » 17 Sep 2014, 10:44

obviously you fail to see the larger picture. This isn't about what it costs or what it's for, but is about the fact that a state has decided that they can force you to pay a private company for any reason, merely by being in that state, and on a federal road.

again, what if they decided that upon entering the state you had to pay to have a safety inspection done by a private company? Would you object then? It's for your own safety after all.

My state already has a an annual vehicle inspection requirement, as do most states. And get this....the inspections are done by a private company (ie. your mechanic). And.......it's been that way for decades.

Consider the 10$ fee a toll. If you want to have your GPS reroute you around an entire state or avoid visiting a state altogether to avoid a $10 toll...that's your prerogative.....no matter how absurd. It's $10 to help prevent habitat destruction. I think you need to find something a little more worthwhile to get bent out of shape over.

nsjames

Post by nsjames » 17 Sep 2014, 10:56

RiverBottomOutdoors » 17 Sep 2014, 10:44 wrote:

My state already has a an annual vehicle inspection requirement, as do most states. And get this....the inspections are done by a private company (ie. your mechanic). And.......it's been that way for decades.

Consider the 10$ fee a toll. If you want to have your GPS reroute you around an entire state or avoid visiting a state altogether to avoid a $10 toll...that's your prerogative.....no matter how absurd. It's $10 to help prevent habitat destruction. I think you need to find something a little more worthwhile to get bent out of shape over.
no, "most" states do not, and I live in one that doesn't. So if I drive through your state should I have to pay your state to inspect my car? What if I was simply towing a vehicle on a trailer? Should that also get inspected? Should every brand new car on a commercial car hauler that passes through be subject to inspection?
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/03/1 ... nsylvania/
as of 2012 there were 12 states that still required inspections. So much for "most". :roll:

whatever. This discussion is pointless because you believe that it's the right thing to do, and using that emotion you have rationalized state sponsored extortion.
I'm done here. Carry on.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Post by RiverBottomOutdoors » 17 Sep 2014, 11:15

nsjames » 16 minutes ago wrote:
RiverBottomOutdoors » 17 Sep 2014, 10:44 wrote:

no, "most" states do not, and I live in one that doesn't. So if I drive through your state should I have to pay your state to inspect my car? What if I was simply towing a vehicle on a trailer? Should that also get inspected? Should every brand new car on a commercial car hauler that passes through be subject to inspection?
https://www.phillymag.com/news/2012/03/1 ... nsylvania/
as of 2012 there were 12 states that still required inspections. So much for "most". :roll:

whatever. This discussion is pointless because you believe that it's the right thing to do, and using that emotion you have rationalized state sponsored extortion.
I'm done here. Carry on.

You should go join one of those doomsday militias and fight the power! Haha. $10 my friend...$10.

nsjames

Post by nsjames » 17 Sep 2014, 11:34

so again, you have no argument other than "it's just ten dollars"
ten dollars here, ten dollars there
what happens when they decide to raise that to 50 dollars, or 100?
Your view is very myopic.

RiverBottomOutdoors

Post by RiverBottomOutdoors » 17 Sep 2014, 11:48

nsjames » 1 minute ago wrote:so again, you have no argument other than "it's just ten dollars"
ten dollars here, ten dollars there
what happens when they decide to raise that to 50 dollars, or 100?
Your view is very myopic.
NO.... my view is that this is a modest fee that goes to a good cause. What if they raise this and what if this or do that...and any other slippery slope argument fallacy doesn't matter. You're the myopic one. You are likely the type that opposes any government endeavor simply because it is a endeavor by the government, no matter the reasoning behind it.

If the Old Dominion wanted to follow suit. I would gladly pay the fee to support saving our waters from this hydrilla weed that chokes out ecosystems. And if you didn't want to visit my state because of it, I would say we are better off not having people that don't want to support keeping our waters free from invasive species.

Thejrod

Post by Thejrod » 17 Sep 2014, 12:36

Fees won't stop anyone!

Wood_Duck

Post by Wood_Duck » 19 Sep 2014, 00:43

Modest fee or not it's still extortion. That's like just because you decide to come fish my River, the state forces you to buy a trout unlimited membership to my local chapter. Is that fair? Absolutely not. But let's skip the fees and look at the end result...the people that don't give a hoot right now about invasive species will after paying their "modest" fee, continue to not give a hoot. They'll continue to spread them and do what it is they do. Ripping off everyone over some stupid training isn't going to change the people that don't want to change. Where will all these little fees end?

RiverBottomOutdoors

Post by RiverBottomOutdoors » 19 Sep 2014, 09:28

Next up: Buying a fishing license is extortion. Registering your boat is extortion. Tags for your trailer is extortion. Required boat safety training is extortion.

Get a grip guys. This is not extortion.

Wood_Duck

Post by Wood_Duck » 19 Sep 2014, 09:54

Buying a fishing license for my state to fish is fair. Because I'm fishing....in my state. Registering my boat to operate in my state...is fair. Registering my boat and taking training to drive through another state is just idiocy

muskiemike12

Post by muskiemike12 » 19 Sep 2014, 10:15

I agree with you Jonah. It is just like paying a toll on a road. If you don't want to pay the toll take a different route. From what I see the cost is only $5.00 not $10.00 I think they are doing this because now the laws for aquatic invasive species (AIS) will have more teeth. Our DNR has always given out AIS decals to place on your trailer. I never put the stickers on my trailer because by doing so you could be issued a ticket for just a stem of a weed somewhere on your equipment. I believe this was done so that the authorities would know if you had been educated on AIS. You will no longer be able to plead ignorance on the subject. Although it will not stop the spread of AIS, it will certainly slow it down.

Y_J

Post by Y_J » 19 Sep 2014, 22:46

Why not just collect the $10 fee at the boat ramps for out of state boats? Not to long ago, I moved from California to Georgia and not once did I stop and put a boat in the water. I can't even remember how many states I drove through to get here. At $10 per state it adds up pretty good. And I was on a budget. If I'm going to do some boating and/or fishing is one thing, but just passing through? I don't think so.
My Fisher-Marine 1648 Build Thread https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopi ... 96#p434296

My Sears 1236 Build Thread: http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=34781

Happy Boating & Fishing,
YJ

---
1979 Fisher-Marine 1648
Minn Kota 35 lb thrust Bow Mount TM
Mercury 20 HP OB
1974 Ted Williams 4.5 HP OB