It is currently 18 Jun 2018, 22:50
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 14:35 

I recently got an minn kota edge for my lowe modified v and need to mount it on something other than directly to my deck.

I'm thinking of building a small box but have little carpentry knowledge.

The trolling motor plate is 1'10" X 5".

I was thinking of building something 2' long x 6" wide x 4" tall (approx height of 2x4)

I was going to put 2x4's on the sides and plywood on top and bottom.

My main question is how should I put it together: cut 45's on the 2x4 ends to fit one another (I read this is not always good as far as strength goes)?

Could I cut a groove in the 2x4's about the depth of the plywood and have the plywood "sit in"?

I apologize if my descriptions are vague and I'm sure this is a simple build, I'm just wanting to do it right.

Basically, what would you do?

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 14:42 

Wood would be nice, but I am pretty sure bassboy already has something like that made out of aluminum, or you could get a local company to fab one for you.

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 14:49 

bigwave wrote:
Wood would be nice, but I am pretty sure bassboy already has something like that made out of aluminum, or you could get a local company to fab one for you.

You're right, and I've had considered it but I was thinking wood would suffice for something basic.

I should of added, I bought the wood already - $20 and I'll have about half of it left over.

Does bass boy have a website?

PostPosted: 08 May 2013, 14:58 

yes he does he is a sponsor of this site, fish on fabracators.

PostPosted: 09 May 2013, 13:41 

Any more suggestions if going the wood route?

PostPosted: 10 May 2013, 23:01 

AK McCallum sells the factory Lowe aluminum mount. I just bought one for my boat.

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 09:07 

colt45 wrote:

You're right, and I've had considered it but I was thinking wood would suffice for something basic.

I should of added, I bought the wood already - $20 and I'll have about half of it left over.

If the wood is not returnable or you want to proceed with wood, here are a few suggestions;

You are not building a furniture grade project so some basis tools, glue and paint should do the job. Personally I probably would not use plywood for the deck (top portion of the project. The direction and project build the same with 2x or plywood. I would use all 2 by stock and make a simple channel that is 5" wide and as long as you need. I would glue and screw the top to the 2 legs. I would then caulk any cracks. If using plywood I would fill any edge voids with Bondo and then sand all exposed edges until they are as smooth as a baby's butt. I would also sand the end grades of the 2x stock.

All the sanding is because the weather attacks the ends and edges first. I would then get at least 3 coats of spar varnish or paint to match the boat.

I would secure the mount to the deck suing small 90 degree angles and a screws larger enough to bite into the boat meat (10-12 hex head self tappers). For better paint adhesion, if using galvanized angle irons run them through the dishwasher a couple of times or hand scrub using dish machine soap before painting.

PostPosted: 11 May 2013, 21:22 

Colbyt wrote:
colt45 wrote:

If the wood is not returnable or you want to proceed with wood, here are a few suggestions;

You are not building a furniture grade project so some basis tools, glue and paint should do the job. Personally I probably would not use plywood for the deck (top portion of the project. The direction and project build the same with 2x or plywood. I would use all 2 by stock and make a simple channel that is 5" wide and as long as you need. I would glue and screw the top to the 2 legs. I would then caulk any cracks. If using plywood I would fill any edge voids with Bondo and then sand all exposed edges until they are as smooth as a baby's butt. I would also sand the end grades of the 2x stock.

All the sanding is because the weather attacks the ends and edges first. I would then get at least 3 coats of spar varnish or paint to match the boat.

I would secure the mount to the deck suing small 90 degree angles and a screws larger enough to bite into the boat meat (10-12 hex head self tappers). For better paint adhesion, if using galvanized angle irons run them through the dishwasher a couple of times or hand scrub using dish machine soap before painting.

Thanks a lot for the input.

PostPosted: 13 May 2013, 15:23 

Well, I asked my neighbor to help w/ this and a couple other modifications I'm working on.

He works for a company which builds large vessels here in La and today he was kind enough to have his guys build a stand out of steel.

I was able to return the wood and will post pictures of the mount when I can.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]