It is currently 17 Aug 2018, 22:20
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

VinylImagesInc

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 11:57 

Sorry about not posting any updates everyone. I didn't get anything done over the winter because I didn't have an enclosed shop to work in and even GA winters can be cold. We moved to the other side of town and I have a very large 2 bay shop now. I did manage to get started on the frame for the floor, and will be securing it and posting photos soon. Once the floor is in I will work on storage and building a custom fiberglass livewell for inside the rear bench (gonna take alot of photos of that so others will have a reference). Also I had someone offer to trade a 25 horse johnson with controls for my 12 ft fiberglass v, trailer and 4.5 hp mercury, sounds like a good deal to me. I sure need that bigger motor for this boat. Also planning out my electrical system. I'll make sure to keep ya'll updated regularly...

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 13:22 

I'm just three hours west of you and I haven't been outside much either.
I have a covered barn to work in, but its cold and the wind comes through it like its looking for a body to freeze!

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 16:41 

Bear with me here, I've got photos of a pod i made for my fish finder. Gonna post a few at a time to show the progress, it's not completely finished but I've got enough to show...

The mounting bracket for it was flimsy and I didnt want anyone to accidently bump it and break the mount, so i decided to make a fiberglass pod so the lcd would be almost flush with the surface of the pod.

Here's my finder...

hummingbird.JPG
hummingbird.JPG [ 9.04 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 16:45 

So the first (and most important) step is to tape up the item to be glassed around. If you don't do a good job, you will get the glass stuck to your unit. So put several layers of painters tape around the unit. Be sure to match the contours tight because you want a snug fit.

DSC01335.JPG
DSC01335.JPG [ 33.95 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]
DSC01334.JPG
DSC01334.JPG [ 30.35 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 16:50 

Next, I got a piece of cardboard and cut out a hole exactly the shape of the front of the unit. I cut it small at first so and adjusted it so I wouldn't have to do this twice. I made sure the unit only came about 1/4-1/2 inch out the bottom when facing down, this way I can still grab the edges to pull it out. I then taped the unit into place on the cardboard, making sure to get a good crease at the edge where the unit meets the cardbord.

DSC01336.JPG
DSC01336.JPG [ 39.82 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]
DSC01338.JPG
DSC01338.JPG [ 31.22 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]
DSC01337.JPG
DSC01337.JPG [ 40.95 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]
DSC01339.JPG
DSC01339.JPG [ 36.99 KiB | Viewed 756 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 17:13 

Once everything was where I needed it, I began glassing. I used Bondo hair glass, because it builds quickly, and well... I had some leftover from a while back...

I didn't get any photos of me doing this part because once you mix this stuff you have to work fast because it dries quickly.

Scoop out as much glass as you think you will need, make a round pancake shape with it, then squirt a solid line of hardener across the widest part of the pancake, that's how much hardener it takes. Don't add too much or it'll set up on you too quickly. Blend it together.

Make sure you wear gloves on this part because it gets messy... Smear it about 3/8 - 1/2 inch thick around the back of the unit. Make sure to squeeze it into the corners good, and be careful to avoid negative space. By that I mean, if you glass too far around the unit, you can't pull it out once the glass hardens. That = BAD.

Then you just let it harden, and add more in spots if necessary. Now this stuff produces heat as it dries, so ventilate it well so you dont fry your unit.

DSC01341.JPG
DSC01341.JPG [ 46.25 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]
DSC01343.JPG
DSC01343.JPG [ 41.91 KiB | Viewed 697 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 17:21 

Now give the glass and hour or two to harden, and pull off the cardboard and CAREFULLY pop out your finder... Ideally it should come out without too much fuss. You now have a basic pod, if you did this correctly your unit should actually "snap" into place without falling out like mine. Use a file to smooth rough edges and graduate to sandpaper, if you are really picky, you can spot glaze the imperfections with regular bondo and get it looking really smooth. I am flush mounting behind a panel so the exterior doesn't matter too much to me. If you wanna paint it just blow it off with compressed air and wipe with a tack cloth, and spray paint it.

DSC01346.JPG
DSC01346.JPG [ 36.97 KiB | Viewed 696 times ]
DSC01348.JPG
DSC01348.JPG [ 29.3 KiB | Viewed 696 times ]
DSC01351.JPG
DSC01351.JPG [ 31.41 KiB | Viewed 696 times ]
DSC01352.JPG
DSC01352.JPG [ 36.37 KiB | Viewed 696 times ]
DSC01353.JPG
DSC01353.JPG [ 35.77 KiB | Viewed 696 times ]
DSC01354.JPG
DSC01354.JPG [ 30.45 KiB | Viewed 696 times ]
DSC01356.JPG
DSC01356.JPG [ 37.8 KiB | Viewed 696 times ]

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 17:23 

Also yes i noticed i didnt leave a hole in the back for the cords to come through. I figured a dremel would make a nicer shaped hole than i could form by hand. Any questions, let me know.... I post a photo of what it looks like flush mounted as soon as i get it in there...

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2010, 19:48 

that is cool. I cant wait to see the finished product. I just wonder where I could put mine. I sit in different places so I need mine to move.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 11:20 

If you need it to move, build a box like a mini television, flush mount it on the front, and weight the bottom down so it won't flip over. The box wouldn't need to be bigger than about 7x7. This way you can move it around with you, but don't have to worry about stepping on it and breaking it. You could even carpet the outside to match your boat. Heres a basic idea...

File comment: Obviously your cords would connect to your unit's transducer and power supply, you could just wrap those in some plastic wire loom to protect them and pull them around with your box.
podbox.JPG
podbox.JPG [ 31.9 KiB | Viewed 691 times ]

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 11:59 

very nice

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 12:15 

What a Wit. You need to be teaching R&D at some college.
What program did you use to make that Vector of the 'portable' FF?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 13:33 

Again, I used Microsoft Paint. I cut out around an image of the fish finder (and rather hastily), then used the Skew tool to skew the image about 30 degrees. Then did a quick line drawing of the box around the image and filled it with gray.

MS Paint is an extremely good program for basic drawing if you learn most of it's tools. And if you aren't already familiar with them, just play with it for a while and it's easy to figure out.

They say necessity is the mother of invention, and I just didn't like the thin, flimsy plastic mounts that come with these units...

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 14:38 

Well, I've failed your class already.
I took an "internet Graphics" course at a 2 year college. They taught using Adobe-I which is a marvelous product.
However he left me with the same instructions you just did. Play with it and learn it!
I wonder what he thought I paid my money for?

In MS Paint, can you load a Photograph, and then cut around it (Clipping Mask) etc?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2010, 17:31 

When I open a photo, I open it with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Towards the bottom right of the window there is a button that lets you open the photo for editing. When you click this it imports the image over to MS Paint and it can be edited from there.

If you prefer you can just go to MS Paint, click "File", click "Open", and then browse for your photo which can get annoying. But either way it works.

You just need to resize the image with the "Stretch" function in the "Image" drop down menu to make it more manageable first. From there you can cut out parts, skew it at angles, and change it at will.

Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next