It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 06:02
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 5 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 00:20 

surfman wrote:
Always prep your boat for launch before you are on the ramp, give yourself time to think about what you are doing and walk around the boat a few times and check it over. Do this in an out of the way place. I unhook the strap but my boat will not slide off the bunks easily and I tie the bow line to the winch stand. works great.

Once the boat is in the water move it to the farthest end of the dock so that another person could launch after you. Nothing grips me more than folks that launch and tie off at the beginning of the dock when there is 40' of dock sticking out into the water. you have to sit and wait for them to move.

Good advice and I always pull out of everyone's way to get my boat ready to launch. Mistakes happen when folks rush. If you are new to loading and unloading a boat, just take your time and think about what you are doing. Before long, your loading and unloading routine will be second nature. As far as the folks that do things inconsiderate like tying their boat in the way of the next guy, I've about decided they aren't inconsiderate, they're just stupid. Pretty sure I'm right about this.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 01:28 

like the guy that ties his boat up right at the launch while he goes to park, instead of at the end of the dock,so it's almost impossible for the next guy to launch.i also watched a guy park his car on the single lane launch,put a kayak on the roof and then wanders away for almost half an hour??a kayak??there was a line of people ready to kill.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 08:44 

Some good stories here, and, as is the style of this site...we are a pretty forgiving bunch.

I've made every mistake listed here, at least ONCE (or more).

A couple of things that have helped me.

The checklist is on my phone... so I always have it with me. I look at it before I get out of the van to launch, and again before I make the final trip to the boat after launching. Can't tell you how many times things like SunGlasses etc. get caught at that last check.

Since I am old and launch alone 99% of the time..I use the "long-rope" technique.

Before I get to the ramp, I prep the boat.
The long rope is coiled; left on the foredeck.. One end is permanently attached to the bow cleat and the other end is loose-looped onto the trailer at the winch.
I leave the bow strap attached until the stern is over the water.
Remove the bow strap.
I back her in, and just touch the brakes.
She slides off quickly (no doubt due to the PVC Gutter Downspouts that cover the bunks). The long rope allows her to slide 20/30 feet away.
I get out of the van;
grab the rope;
clear it from the trailer uprights,
and haul the boat to the dock.
Put the van away;
check the checklist one more time;
and go fishing.

You younger guys might be able to climb aboard and power the boat to the dock. I can't do that anymore. This system has worked well for many years.

richg99

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 09:33 

CedarRiverScooter wrote:
At least you didn't leave the plug out like I did last year.

Guy did this Saturday. I backed mine down and he started hollering asking if I'd move and told his wife to get the truck!

I pulled up and watched his wife try to back the truck down with little to no success, so he asked me to do it. Hopped in his truck and slammed it down there for him as his rear was getting lower and lower. Bilge pump wouldn't keep up. He ran the boat up quick, hooked the safety chain on and said "go, go, go!"

Got him out and all was well, Whew.

Then I went and caught a cooler full of nice crappies :lol:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 09:55 

I saw a group of young guys and girls who left the plug out. They made the mistake of pulling the entire flooded sailboat up the ramp.,..on an ALUMINUM trailer. That trailer bent in half due to the excess weight.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 11:07 

I agree that if you haven't done some of these things you haven't been a boater very long or have been very lucky. ProduceMan, that was a good story but if I did something like that I'd be the geriatric guy on the news that was beat up at the boat ramp! I pissed somebody off once at the ramp, don't know who but I went to the restroom and when I returned they had drawn a pecker on the side of my pontoon tube, true story. I don't know what I did, or who it was, but I guess I did something to somebody. I usually launch my boat by myself. I also have one of the trolling motors with spot lock that runs off a remote. I saw a commercial on tv where a guy had one and would launch his boat and use the remote to hold the boat in position while he parked his truck so I thought I'd give it a try. I launched the boat and was pulling away when I realized that the remote was on the boat. That was the last time I tried that for a while! Now I carry the remote hanging off my neck. I still get some pretty bizarre looks from people when I'm on my elevated deck driving the boat from up there.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 11:43 

Forgotten drail plug. Check
Forgoten transom straps. Check
Left key in the truck. Check
Boat not tied when luanched sending the boat unocupied down river. Check
Hitting the trailer so wrong I hit my truck. Check
Dragging engine that was left down on the ramp. Check
Smashing trailer tail lights with the boat while retrieving. Check
Pulled out to fast ripping off the licence plate. Check
Running trailer fender into gas station concrete filled poles. Check
Jackknifing and bending trailer tongue and damaging truck. Check

Making perfect trailer launching and landing when I’m the only person to see for miles. Every time.

By the grace of God I retrieved while 25 bass tournament boats were launching like jet fighters on a very windy day. Wife and dog were barking and it was so crowded I had to come in at angle thru the maze of boats. The wind really blows these tin boats and I did not want to hit any of the fancy bass bling boats but I swong it around just right and nailed that trailer with nothing but net. Thats the one I choose to remember because you definatly pay your dues learning to get it right.

Arizona

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 11:47 

Yay for plastic trailer fenders!!!

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 12:03 

"wife and dog were barking"

Hmmmm. Ha Ha. Rich

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 15:55 

bcbouy wrote:
like the guy that ties his boat up right at the launch while he goes to park, instead of at the end of the dock,so it's almost impossible for the next guy to launch.i also watched a guy park his car on the single lane launch,put a kayak on the roof and then wanders away for almost half an hour??a kayak??there was a line of people ready to kill.

Ah man, my ultimate pet peeve! I fish a lot of backwater areas around Wheeler wildlife refuge in Alabama and there are a few places to launch that aren't paved ramps but rather just cut outs into the bank down to the water. People will launch a boat and then just leave it parked with their trailer just barely out of the water. There are enough similar spots it doesn't keep me from launching elsewhere but sometimes it keeps me from going to the locations I wanted to.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 16:03 

richg99 wrote:
Some good stories here, and, as is the style of this site...we are a pretty forgiving bunch.

I've made every mistake listed here, at least ONCE (or more).

A couple of things that have helped me.

The checklist is on my phone... so I always have it with me. I look at it before I get out of the van to launch, and again before I make the final trip to the boat after launching. Can't tell you how many times things like SunGlasses etc. get caught at that last check.

Since I am old and launch alone 99% of the time..I use the "long-rope" technique.

Before I get to the ramp, I prep the boat.
The long rope is coiled; left on the foredeck.. One end is permanently attached to the bow cleat and the other end is loose-looped onto the trailer at the winch.
I leave the bow strap attached until the stern is over the water.
Remove the bow strap.
I back her in, and just touch the brakes.
She slides off quickly (no doubt due to the PVC Gutter Downspouts that cover the bunks). The long rope allows her to slide 20/30 feet away.
I get out of the van;
grab the rope;
clear it from the trailer uprights,
and haul the boat to the dock.
Put the van away;
check the checklist one more time;
and go fishing.

You younger guys might be able to climb aboard and power the boat to the dock. I can't do that anymore. This system has worked well for many years.

richg99

I do it similarly. I have an overhand knot permanently in my rope that is just long enough I can snap my safety chain clip to the loop and the boat will float off only about 5-6 feet behind the end of the trailer. I ease it in so it barely floats off and after it gets to the end of the rope ans stretches begins to come back to me I pull forward at about the same speed and the boat gently slides to the ramp. I then get out and move it to the dock or off of the ramp if there is no dock.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 16:06 

richg99 wrote:
"wife and dog were barking"

Hmmmm. Ha Ha. Rich

Also made me giggle and remember a couple things.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 18:15 

I think we have all been that person! Don’t beat yourself up to bad. Been there done that ! And sooner or later I’ll go back for seconds . We call it geeking out, and we are all guilty at some point of it. Good luck in the future and tight lines !

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 19:13 

Shouldn't laugh, but it is kind of hard not to. One thing for sure. After reading Eshaw's post I'm going to make doubly sure I don't piss anyone off at the ramp. Haha.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2018, 13:11 

OMG I feel so much better reading this thread!!!

This was my first year with the boat, launched it 9 times this season. The first couple times I used a checklist and then I thought "hey you don't need that anymore" and then the mistakes started. Transom straps were the most common.

So the last few trips used the checklist again, up until the last launch. I got distracted by the guy ahead of me with a trailer light out. Went over to let him know, talked for a bit then went back to prep, forgot all about the checklist. So I remembered everything (I thought), launch the boat, friend holds the rope while I park the truck. I'm walking back over and think, damn the rear is riding lower than normal, then panic and running. For a split second I contemplate pulling it out, but I look and realize no way do I have that kind of time. I jump on the boat get the plug out from under my seat (now filled with equipment for the day), lay on the back deck and luckily I can easily reach the hole, put the plug in and all is well. The water was about 1-2" from coming over the transom. The 500 GPH pump ran for 15 minutes straight.

After everything is well my friend says, "So what would you have done if you dropped the plug?" I laughed and said pan B, pull the boat out.....after grounding it on the ramp to save it. I've been around boats my whole life, and that was the first time for that, even I was shocked how fast it will fill up.

I'd like to say I will never do it again after that lesson, but I know better.

Page 3 of 5 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next