It is currently 15 Jul 2018, 22:58
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Fiberglasssupplydepot

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PostPosted: 02 Dec 2017, 12:59 

In the days before hurricane Wilma blew through the east coast of So Flo (I lived on a salt water canal) and I had plenty of lines from my Pursuit tied to my dock pilings, the deck, seawall AND an anchor fore and aft with enough line to accommodate rising water. The marine and hardware stores were totally out of any type of line to secure boats with.

During the storm I looked out my back window and there were boats spiraling past my boat that had ripped free of their docks, pounding my boats starboard side which luckily I had secured many bumpers / cushions to which kept them from damaging my boat. Mine was one of the few remaining on the dock after the storm.

When the storm was over many boats were piled up at the end of the canal some 60 yards from me.

My next door neighbor had a nice Boston Whaler that (I had advised him to get more new lines previously but he was too value conscious) had hung onto the dock by one flimsy line that had not broken and was 90 degrees to the dock and he was on it holding a piling yelling for help. The same dude had thrown away several thousand dollars in meats (twice after storms) he kept in a large freezer as overflow from his business because he was too "value conscious" to get a generator. He felt I should run a line from my genset to his house because my genset was so big :-)

Anyway, I got my boat hook, pulled it in and secured it. He sold the boat, brought the freezer back to his business and got a 2000 watt generator that he thought might be sufficient to keep him comfy after a storm.

A few things came out of this.

1. Far too many people rely on too few lines to secure their boats.

2. Way too many people wait till the last minute (if ever) to replace old, faded, frayed lines.

3. People gladly pay insurance to a company but too often don't buy products to keep their valuables safe.

OP, I'm glad your boat was found and hopefully you will get your stuff back.

Gary (in South Florida)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 23:47 

so far this week i picked up an anchor buddy,trolling motor disconnect,gimbal mount and neoprene cover for the fish finder, remote switch for the anchor winch and an aux 12volt /usb socket.all i need now are boat/seat and engine covers for the long,dusty forest service roads,a couple new deep cycles and a boat to put everything in/on.i think it may be in by march or april at the latest.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 20:21 

it's being prepped for shipping today.less the crappy fishfinder,mannequin and trolling motor.i've got better ones waiting in the garage(not the mannequin of course).should be here by the end of the week.6 long months without a boat.last thing to buy is a big deep cycle and trailer rims to match my ram.then i'm done for a couple months.i'll post some pics of the add ons as i go.

218617ca-dee7-47fe-bdbf-b85395c0d007.jpeg

Last edited by bcbouy on 06 Mar 2018, 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 20:22 

Just in time for Spring fishing.

Karl Pearson"

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2018, 20:33 

i want to get in some sturgeon fishing before freshet starts as well.

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2018, 17:55 

I like Alumacraft boats. Congrats.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 18:36 

picked up the new boat yesterday,so lots of work going on today.adjusted the bunks and side bunks.mounted the quick release plates for the deckhand and the trolling motor,and added the quick release plugs to both units,ran the cable and mounted the remote switch for the deckhand,mounted the fishfinder on a ram mount and ran the transducer cable and mounted the trans,removed some dealer stickers,did my online registry so now i'm official, and ordered 2 new sets of transom straps.next up is mount a second battery tray in the bow so i can parallel a couple optimas,mount a battery gauge for the t/m batteries because for some strange reason the trolling motor batteries are independent of the boats power,mount 4 rod holders to the alumatracs, a 12 volt plug and a couple usb plugs on the wifes side of the boat,fish some wires through the rod locker to power said panel and mount my 4 bow bimini.now i'm looking into a minn kota single bank alternator charger to charge the trolling motor batteries.some good news when i went to check the oil level,the dealer had reprogrammed it for xd 100,so i just saved myself an hours worth of shop $.crawling around on the boat for the last 7 hours has killed me.i'm going to feel it tommorrow.

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 19:01 

Wheew....I've done most of those things...but..not all in one day! Yes, you will be sore and tired tomorrow. Probably ought to go fishing.

Karl Pearson"

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 19:16 

Quite an ordeal. Did you consider a 16 ft boat. I went from a 14 to 16 really quick and it still looks too short.

14 ft Lone Star w/15hp Evinrude sold

PostPosted: 18 Mar 2018, 20:33 

oh,i considered a 16.i even wished for my garage to grow another 2 feet for the last 6 months,but it didn't happen,so 14.5 is as long a boat as i can fit.the worst part is i have a house in the okanagan that can fit a 40 footer but it's a 6 hour drive from my full time house.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 19:24 

all that's left is to install and wire a 12 volt gauge and minn kota single bank alternator charger for the trolling motor batteries

File comment: wired up a 12 volt and usb for the wifes side
20180328_154211.jpg
File comment: mounted the helix 7 and ram mount and usb/phone holder for music and speedo
20180328_154115.jpg
File comment: installed the bimini and relocated the cleats
20180328_154100.jpg
File comment: mounted the quick release plates and plugs for the t/m and anchor winch
20180328_154125.jpg
File comment: took it out for the first time last saturday
20180328_154046.jpg

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 21:49 

The bench looks like it takes up 2 valuable feet of space. Kidding.
The other day it occurred to me I should have used two big garage doors so I could drive right through and unhook the boat. Too late now.

14 ft Lone Star w/15hp Evinrude sold

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 23:23 

water bouy wrote:
The bench looks like it takes up 2 valuable feet of space. Kidding.
The other day it occurred to me I should have used two big garage doors so I could drive right through and unhook the boat. Too late now.

I had the same thought about drive thru garage doors. Problem is I would have to drive thru my family room. Mrs Ldubs wouldn't like that. :LOL2:

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 23:30 

Ha! Two houses ago, I added a garage door in the rear of a standard garage. That allowed me to back my boat all of the way through to the back yard.

It also gave me a great, breezy, cool, fun place to work on my boat or anything else.

Karl Pearson"

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2018, 23:36 

richg99 wrote:
Ha! Two houses ago, I added a garage door in the rear of a standard garage. That allowed me to back my boat all of the way through to the back yard.

It also gave me a great, breezy, cool, fun place to work on my boat or anything else.

That is the ultimate! I have two wide side yards with wide gates, so I'm pretty fortunate.

BCBouy, hope to see some fishing reports.

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next