Check Engine Light

Computer questions, Gaming systems, TV's and anything electronic can go here.
lovedr79
Posts: 2562
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 19:58
Location: Harrisonburg, Va.

Check Engine Light

Post by lovedr79 » 21 May 2017, 09:03

Any update?
Grizzly 1448SC
Lowe 10' jon

Xtremeboats
User avatar
Captain Ahab
Posts: 10603
Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 00:13
Location: Bucks Co., PA
Contact:

Check Engine Light

Post by Captain Ahab » 21 May 2017, 14:55

The aliens took him - he will be missed
Trying to Fish as often as Jim works :LOL2:

User avatar
LarryMc
Posts: 153
Joined: 08 Apr 2014, 07:59
Location: SouthWest Virginia

Check Engine Light

Post by LarryMc » 21 May 2017, 15:35

Image
2011 Lowe Roughneck 1655CC - 2008 Mercury 2 Stroke 90/65 (Converted from prop 90)

KMixson
Posts: 2123
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 16:54
Location: North Charleston S.C.

Check Engine Light

Post by KMixson » 21 May 2017, 16:56

I will be going through that area Monday morning about 4:15 AM. That will be the test. I went through there traveling the opposite direction about 9:00 AM Saturday morning and the light did not come on. I do have a new Toyota OEM gas cap installed. I was planning on going through there Wednesday or Thursday morning but my job had a change of plans and I did not make it. I will post the results Monday morning.

User avatar
Captain Ahab
Posts: 10603
Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 00:13
Location: Bucks Co., PA
Contact:

Check Engine Light

Post by Captain Ahab » 21 May 2017, 17:49

Captain Ahab wrote:The aliens took him - he will be missed

Wrong again - he is back i guess they released him. . . . . [-X
Trying to Fish as often as Jim works :LOL2:

KMixson
Posts: 2123
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 16:54
Location: North Charleston S.C.

Check Engine Light

Post by KMixson » 21 May 2017, 18:28

Captain Ahab wrote:
Captain Ahab wrote:The aliens took him - he will be missed

Wrong again - he is back i guess they released him. . . . . [-X
I guess I wasn't a keeper? :LOL2:

KMixson
Posts: 2123
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 16:54
Location: North Charleston S.C.

Check Engine Light

Post by KMixson » 22 May 2017, 06:06

Well, It came back on in the same spot this morning on the way to work. I have noticed they are doing some paving on the road about a mile before I get to this spot. They only work at night and shut down during the day. Do you think my car could be sniffing hot asphalt in that area and just takes that long to register it for sensors? I do know the smell is real strong when I come through their construction zone.

lovedr79
Posts: 2562
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 19:58
Location: Harrisonburg, Va.

Check Engine Light

Post by lovedr79 » 23 May 2017, 08:44

KMixson wrote:Well, It came back on in the same spot this morning on the way to work. I have noticed they are doing some paving on the road about a mile before I get to this spot. They only work at night and shut down during the day. Do you think my car could be sniffing hot asphalt in that area and just takes that long to register it for sensors? I do know the smell is real strong when I come through their construction zone.
I am at a loss now. that is really odd. propane or natural gas lines around that area? this is really bizarre. the doesnt come on any other time?
Grizzly 1448SC
Lowe 10' jon

KMixson
Posts: 2123
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 16:54
Location: North Charleston S.C.

Check Engine Light

Post by KMixson » 23 May 2017, 10:22

That is the only place it comes on. It only comes on when I travel through there at 4:15 AM on Monday mornings. As I had said in an earlier post I went through there Saturday morning going the opposite way and it didn't come on. They have been working on the road about a mile before I get to that point. I do not know what exactly what they are doing but they could be dealing with a gas line. They have been working on it now for about three months. They only work on it at night from about 10PM to 6AM and then reopen all of the lanes for the morning rush. They tear up the asphalt at night and then lay it back down in the morning. When I go through there all I smell is asphalt. I have never seen a check engine light come on like this before.

GTS225
Posts: 307
Joined: 05 Aug 2011, 23:42

Check Engine Light

Post by GTS225 » 23 May 2017, 19:52

I suggest you have your local Oreilly's read the fault code. This should help narrow down what exactly is throwing the check engine fault. It might also push you/us in the right direction for diagnosis.

Roger

KMixson
Posts: 2123
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 16:54
Location: North Charleston S.C.

Check Engine Light

Post by KMixson » 24 May 2017, 04:25

The code is P0440 which is "Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction". I have read the code six times now. It has all that it shows. The most probable causes for this code is faulty/loose gas cap, EVAP canister, leaking vacuum hoses and fuel tank leak. I have replaced the gas cap. The part I don't understand is why is does it where it does it and nowhere else? It happens on the way to work from my girlfriends house at the same location every time. I didn't realize it until about the third time. I have a code reader that will read live data from the OBD II. My next step will be to connect it to the OBD II port before I drive through there again.

lovedr79
Posts: 2562
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 19:58
Location: Harrisonburg, Va.

Check Engine Light

Post by lovedr79 » 24 May 2017, 08:16

I am still baffled by this. LOL! my cousin has a forester, he was getting the same code. but it was all the time. his evap canister had crack...... wasnt cheap to replace. but in your case it is weird that it is one spot that triggers this. keep us posted.
Grizzly 1448SC
Lowe 10' jon

User avatar
Captain Ahab
Posts: 10603
Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 00:13
Location: Bucks Co., PA
Contact:

Check Engine Light

Post by Captain Ahab » 24 May 2017, 09:17

KMixson wrote:The code is P0440 which is "Evaporative Emission Control System Malfunction". I have read the code six times now. It has all that it shows. The most probable causes for this code is faulty/loose gas cap, EVAP canister, leaking vacuum hoses and fuel tank leak. I have replaced the gas cap. The part I don't understand is why is does it where it does it and nowhere else? It happens on the way to work from my girlfriends house at the same location every time. I didn't realize it until about the third time. I have a code reader that will read live data from the OBD II. My next step will be to connect it to the OBD II port before I drive through there again.

You need to brake (ort break) up with her - she might get to your boat next!
Trying to Fish as often as Jim works :LOL2:

User avatar
DaleH
Donor
Posts: 2350
Joined: 12 Dec 2014, 14:32
Location: Eastern Mass

Check Engine Light

Post by DaleH » 24 May 2017, 09:54

Is the route before that spot full of quick up & down hills? Big bumps? Or anything out of the ordinary that you don't encounter in your other travels?

Signal notes/synthesizer sequence to Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind ...
#1) 1st tin rebuild, 18' Lund http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36583
#2) 25' Parker refurb from EMPTY hull http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=15&t=6
#3) 16' V-tin rebuild http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36465
#4 Procraft SV14
#5) 16' Starcraft entirely NEW Transom Skins http://forum.tinboats.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548

KMixson
Posts: 2123
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 16:54
Location: North Charleston S.C.

Check Engine Light

Post by KMixson » 24 May 2017, 10:25

DaleH wrote:Is the route before that spot full of quick up & down hills? Big bumps? Or anything out of the ordinary that you don't encounter in your other travels?

Signal notes/synthesizer sequence to Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind ...
Road construction. The way they have it set up it is like going through a slalom course. You go left and right and back left in quick succession to get through there. Maybe I have a vacuum line loose and when I go through there it leaks a little causing the light to come on? Could be. When I do read the code it is already classified as an inactive code. I have cleared the code within a mile of it coming on and it reads as an inactive code.

Post Reply