Just Downloaded Windows 10

Computer questions, Gaming systems, TV's and anything electronic can go here.
nlester

Post by nlester » 21 Dec 2015, 00:41

I give up. After weeks of irritating ads on my laptop for Windows 10, I finally upgraded. I figured that one day soon, MS would shut me down because I was still using Windows 7 and I would be stuck having to pay for 10. Besides their ads were slowing down my system. It was not as bad as I expected. What features Microsoft included seem to work. I expected to lose my 2003 Microsoft Office and other archaic software but it is all working. My 2003 MS Outlook still works but can not be integrated with their mail product. This is the first upgrade where I have not had to replace several hundred dollars of hardware after the upgrade. My Printers, scanner and everything else are compatible with the new operating system.

What is not working is my Norton Identity Safe. Apparently Microsoft does not play well with others and Norton has made some remarks about Microsoft changing their protection features faster than Norton can adapt to the changes. Microsoft is still making changes to the system and I think some features are missing that they will be added later. Identity Safe is the first software that I have found that did I could not get to work after a little tweaking.

The biggest challenges are in navigation. They are taking away a lot of the control and you have to learn how to adapt to the automation that they put between you and what you are trying to do but it is not as big a learning curve as going to Windows 7. At least I can do most of what I am use to doing. Their DVD player and audio player seem to have some commercials that you have to work your way around. Irritating but I don't watch many DVDs on the laptop. MS is trying to train you to do things their way but with a little effort, but they did hide options to allow you to by pass some of the the automation.

Overall, I would rate the change as better than most of their updates, acceptable but not ready for prime time. I did like the option of downloading a version configured for non touch screen laptops.

JMichael

Post by JMichael » 21 Dec 2015, 11:57

Still haven't made the switch and plan on holding out for a while longer. Thanks for the review. BTW all the windows 10 "advertisements" can be deleted by uninstalling and blocking one "update" that MS installed on your system.

Bigwrench

Post by Bigwrench » 21 Dec 2015, 23:32

JMichael wrote:Still haven't made the switch and plan on holding out for a while longer. Thanks for the review. BTW all the windows 10 "advertisements" can be deleted by uninstalling and blocking one "update" that MS installed on your system.
Thanks for that tip !
That dang pop up aggravates me.
I'm in a Unique situation as I use my laptop at work only and since I work for a GM dealer we are not allowed to upgrade any of our computers to Windows 10 at this time. Not really sure the reason behind it but GM dedicated an entire webpage to making sure we do not upgrade to it on any system used to diagnose and or program a vehicle.
I like 7 pretty dang good , miss 98 and XP for sure.
Tried 8 on the wife's laptop and I can't even open a webpage or figure out how to turn the dang thing off lol

JMichael

Post by JMichael » 22 Dec 2015, 11:42

Well for anyone with Windows 7 or 8, that's looking to get rid of the annoying Windows 10 popup, this is how you do it. https://microsoft-news.com/how-to-remove ... windows-8/

ACAMS

Post by ACAMS » 26 Dec 2015, 16:38

I blocked it LONG ago on my laptop and REALLY, REALLY messed up and "tested" my desktop with windoze 10 ..... BIG mistake.

8.1 is the same as 10 without the crap!!!!!

10 has something called " Windows Insider Preview" on my computer that updated weeks after my install that CAN'T BE UNINSTALLED

You have like 30 days after the "free" update to 10 to revert back to your old OS ...... then you are screwed.

Unless you have a NEW PAD with ALL NEW [s]PROGRAMS[/s] APPS ...... then get 8.1 instead of 10!

I have a print program I bought only a few years ago that is not compatible with Windows Insider Preview and I got it to work with errors and warnings, but it can't be uninstalled, or fixed.

As soon as I get a few days to save my stuff and completely reformat, I am going back to 8.1

There is a free download called Classic Shell that makes your 8.1 and even 10 work like 7 and gives you back your start menu.

BigTerp
Donor

Post by BigTerp » 29 Dec 2015, 10:46

I had 30 days to decide if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 10 for free when I got a new laptop in September. Went ahead and did the upgrade. My work computer is running Windows 7. A bit of difference in the controls/menus to get used to with Windows 10, but other that absolutely no complaints whatsoever.
BigTerp's Tracker Sportsman 16' build-------> http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=26774

-CN-

Post by -CN- » 29 Dec 2015, 12:42

I went from 7 to 10 a few weeks ago. I have no complaints about 10.
Got my lady a Windows tablet for Christmas that ran Windows 8. THAT is a nightmare. We did the Windows 10 update on that yesterday and we're happy again.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls » 31 Dec 2015, 14:36

I little more than a month ago I did the upgrade from that day my computer was not working properly. Unfortunately I didn't know I had 1 month to go back to 8.1, today I had to restore my computer back to windows 8.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

KMixson

Post by KMixson » 31 Dec 2015, 20:37

OK, I have been running Windows 10 for four months now and I have not had any problems with the system so far. All of my programs seem to work just fine with the new system. It is different from Windows 7 which meant I had to learn a few things which hasn't been all that bad for me. I actually like it more and more the the more I use it. I am not using a touch screen as of yet. I have it on my desktop and one laptop and it seems to be running fine on both. My work warned us to not load Windows 10 because the IT team said it would not work with their e-mail system. That was six months ago and I have not seen any more e-mails from them warning us of it lately. I have no problems with my work e-mail on my desktop or home laptop. I may try to load it on my work laptop soon. BTW, My work laptop is my laptop, not a company owned laptop.

gnappi

Post by gnappi » 20 Jun 2017, 23:12

Those that have upgraded with problems, you're forgetting the difference between the operating system and device drivers. Video cards, network cards, trackpads are all made by vendors other than the OS, or even PC makers.

If the maker of the computer does not have upgraded drivers, check the I/O makers site and download them. If they're not available you're out of luck.

Microsoft had a compatibility check program that would tell you what may not work BEFORE getting the free V10 upgrade. Failing to do before installing the upgrade will take some sleuthing around on your part, hopefully the network drivers are intact and you can do that or go to another machine to research the drivers.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

gnappi

Post by gnappi » 20 Jun 2017, 23:17

JMichael wrote:I hired on with IBM when DOS didn't exist and neither did the PC. :lol: Being in the computer industry when it all started and watching the PC develop from inception to what it is today has been interesting to watch. I thought XP was a very good OS, and 98 wasn't bad either.
Me too... IBM West Palm (CSD) (1980) then ESD Boca development on monitors, I/O, systems, and engineering test. I left in 1995 just before we were sold to Lenovo. Where were you?
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter » 21 Jun 2017, 07:50

Switched to linux. Not going back.

gnappi

Post by gnappi » 02 Jul 2018, 11:04

CedarRiverScooter wrote:Switched to linux. Not going back.
Just after your post I too went to Linux (mint) and I am so happy I did.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)