Just Downloaded Windows 10

Computer questions, Gaming systems, TV's and anything electronic can go here.
KMixson

Post by KMixson » 12 Aug 2015, 18:58

I just downloaded Windows 10 today and my 2nd monitor would not connect to my CPU's video card. I downloaded the new Windows 10 drivers for my card and it still would not recognize the monitor. I thought I might have messed up trying to download Windows 10 as soon as it became available to me. After looking it over I found that my 2nd monitor had reset to accept HDMI instead of a DVI signal when it downloaded the new version of Windows somehow. After resetting it for DVI it all works now. Thank Goodness. I will try to learn this version as quick as I can since I seem to be the family and friends IT guy. They come at me with all kinds of questions when it comes to computers. They think my brain is smarter than it actually is. They expect me to remember all their passwords off the top of my head even after years of not having worked on their machine. I can't do it. Well, thats enough of my rant for today.

Shoedawg

Post by Shoedawg » 12 Aug 2015, 22:49

HA ME TOO!! :LOL2: Family and Friends ALWAYS come to me for their PC problems. It gets a little old :roll: :roll: :roll: I plan on installing Windows 10 myself, using my FREE upgrade. Can't believe Microsoft would do that. So far I have read and seen positive reviews on the new OS. I'll make sure to get all my updated drivers first before I do my wipe and clean install. I custom built my own PC, so shouldn't have any issues with that.....I hope [-o<

Shoe
Project: Shoebox - 1746 Fisher (Remod)
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33272

How to Smell Like a REAL MAN.
Combine: fuel, wood, grease, dirt, metal, BBQ, yard, coffee, tobacco juice, & beer.
Mix well. Apply to Sweaty Chest Hair using a Flannel Cloth.

"Work Harder and Smarter" - Mike Rowe

Keystone
Donor

Post by Keystone » 13 Aug 2015, 07:21

I downloaded it a few days ago. So far so good.
T.G.I.F. !!
Thank God I Fish
2014 G3 V167T Angler a.k.a. The Esox Lucius
Yamaha F40LA, MinnKota V2 PD45, Humminbird 581i HD DI Combo
U.S. Army 95BZ6 1979-1990
Originally from Bucks County, PA
Now Call Minnesota home....

JMichael

Post by JMichael » 13 Aug 2015, 09:58

I never upgrade to a different OS as soon as they come available. Having worked in the computer industry for 10 years, I know how bugy new software can be. And lets face it, Microsoft doesn't have the best of records when it comes to releasing new operating systems. :lol: Besides that, I like windows 7 pretty well so I'm in no rush to learn a new OS. And like you guys, I'm the one all my friends and family call on when they have pc issues and it does get old some times.

KMixson

Post by KMixson » 13 Aug 2015, 10:49

JMichael wrote:I never upgrade to a different OS as soon as they come available.
I don't usually do that but this one is supposed to be their last version as far as I have been told. Any changes are supposed to be to Windows 10. They say they will just keep updating 10 instead of creating a new system. We will see. I liked Windows XP. It lasted me longer than any version I have had as of yet. I didn't like Windows Vista. Windows 7 was good which I still have on my two laptops. Windows 8 was OK as far as I used it on other peoples machines but I do like 7 better. Windows 8 was built more for the touch screen users in my opinion the same way as I think about Windows 10 right now. One of the main reasons I went with the update now is that if someone calls me asking about it I know a little about what I am dealing with. I do not like trying to explain something over the phone having never dealt with it. BTW, I started into the computer world when DOS was king. You had to go through DOS to get to Windows. Remember that?

JMichael

Post by JMichael » 13 Aug 2015, 12:10

KMixson wrote: I don't usually do that but this one is supposed to be their last version as far as I have been told. Any changes are supposed to be to Windows 10. They say they will just keep updating 10 instead of creating a new system. We will see. I liked Windows XP. It lasted me longer than any version I have had as of yet. I didn't like Windows Vista. Windows 7 was good which I still have on my two laptops. Windows 8 was OK as far as I used it on other peoples machines but I do like 7 better. Windows 8 was built more for the touch screen users in my opinion the same way as I think about Windows 10 right now. One of the main reasons I went with the update now is that if someone calls me asking about it I know a little about what I am dealing with. I do not like trying to explain something over the phone having never dealt with it. BTW, I started into the computer world when DOS was king. You had to go through DOS to get to Windows. Remember that?
I hired on with IBM when DOS didn't exist and neither did the PC. :lol: Being in the computer industry when it all started and watching the PC develop from inception to what it is today has been interesting to watch. I thought XP was a very good OS, and 98 wasn't bad either.

earl60446

Post by earl60446 » 13 Aug 2015, 15:41

Been on Windows 10 about 2 weeks. Working a-ok so far.
Tim
16ft 1989 Fisher SV-2 w 1988 48hp SPL Johnson "CIGAR BARGE"
(engine looks like a wreck but runs great)
Used to have 1972 14ft Lund w 1977 15hp Mariner
(engine looked great but always ran marginal)
XLINE SPORTSMANS CLUB

huntersdad

Post by huntersdad » 20 Aug 2015, 16:26

I download it soon as it came available to me. I have one main issue though, before the update I could let my PC sit idle for 5 mins and it would turn off the monitor and go into power save mode. Since I downloaded 10, I can't get it to act right unless I just shut it down completely. I can't even make it sleep because when I do, it wakes itself up 2 minutes later. I went to the power saver options and selected what I wanted to do but it simply will not work. The computer is a Lenovo bought shortly after windows 8 came out. It's an all in one touch screen.

nlester

Post by nlester » 22 Aug 2015, 12:51

I doubt that my Microsoft Office 2003 or anything else that I have would work with 10. I remember when I use to do this for a living, now I believe in a cartoon that I read this week. 90% of our problems are created when we push the send button.

I'll use Windows 7 for as long as they will let me.

lovedr79

Post by lovedr79 » 25 Aug 2015, 08:53

i refuse to download it. my laptop keeps telling me my free version is ready........ not doing it.
Grizzly 1448SC
Lowe 10' jon

ggoldy

Post by ggoldy » 25 Aug 2015, 09:38

lovedr79 wrote:i refuse to download it. my laptop keeps telling me my free version is ready........ not doing it.
(laughing) "Just say no"
I
Gary
Mary Esther, Florida
1436 jon
1954 and 55 Corsair 10 horse
Clinton 5 horse(haven't determined age yet)
1952 Johnson 5 horse
1940 Evinrude Elto 1.8 horse

lovedr79

Post by lovedr79 » 28 Aug 2015, 11:09

i purposely bought a laptop with windows 7 for a reason.
Grizzly 1448SC
Lowe 10' jon

nlester

Post by nlester » 28 Aug 2015, 19:25

nlester wrote:I doubt that my Microsoft Office 2003 or anything else that I have would work with 10. I remember when I use to do this for a living, now I believe in a cartoon that I read this week. 90% of our problems are created when we push the send button.

I'll use Windows 7 for as long as they will let me.
I should have kept my mouth shut my battery started going out in my Windows 7 laptop yesterday.

KMixson

Post by KMixson » 28 Aug 2015, 20:03

nlester wrote:I should have kept my mouth shut my battery started going out in my Windows 7 laptop yesterday.
I just replaced the battery in my girlfriends laptop a couple of weeks ago. I purchased one for $11.00. There were a lot of them available in that price range. I was actually surprised at how low the prices were. I hope you can get one that inexpensive. I had replaced a battery in one of my laptops about a year ago and I think I paid around $25.00 for it.

BrazosDon

Post by BrazosDon » 29 Aug 2015, 11:03

I put windows 10 on my Toshiba lap top and lost the mouse pad. I started using a remote mouse and it seems to be working fine now. Hope that helps.