Float pods , hinged

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
richg99

Float pods , hinged

Post by richg99 » 10 Nov 2019, 17:34

As far as set back and prop height, the rule around here is for every two inches of setback, you can raise the engine one inch.

RazorBaits
Sparky508

Float pods , hinged

Post by Sparky508 » 10 Nov 2019, 17:42

richg99 wrote:
10 Nov 2019, 17:34
As far as set back and prop height, the rule around here is for every two inches of setback, you can raise the engine one inch.
So if I'm already low, I can go up a country mile right?

Sparky508

Float pods , hinged

Post by Sparky508 » 10 Nov 2019, 20:54

So my first attempt to deal with this is going be that gutter foam filter stuff. It would squish between the pod and boat when the gap closes.
gutterstuff-gutter-guards-strainers-gs-k5-span-64_1000.jpg
I reckon it will arrest the splash, but I wonder, will it have any affect on the drag? Its porosity would allow it to catch water I guess, but enough to hurt, or not enough so as it would help???

Looking at the video, it appears to be mostly coming from the outside edge, and spraying up, between transom and back of the pod.

I suppose that a shield of sorts on the side would perhaps work, but would need to be pretty tight to the hull, lest or it would get ripped off pretty quickly.

This is gonna drive me nuts!

Churak

Float pods , hinged

Post by Churak » 12 Nov 2019, 22:45

Evening Sparky, have loved following this thread and watching the project progress so far!

I had a few minutes to rough mockkup what you've got so far with some added artistic liberty (hope you like green and orange metal flake paint :lol:) in the spirit of just throwing ideas and burning time towards resolving the splashing issue. I saw mentioned already a side skirt for the pod which I think would be the way to go, and seeing as though you're not too afraid of some light fabrication I figured I would doodle some stuff up.

I think you can make use of your existing hinge mount point and the actuator mount point to create a structure that won't tear off, and build off of that.

Not everything is captured in the little model below, but I find it's helpful to explain my own garbled intent through pictures rather than words. The skirts would pull into the side of the pods and use that for support so they don't collapse inward and the bottom of the skirt extends down into the water a bit. Making the bit that sits vertical in the water stable enough is probably going to be a matter of the material thickness of the skirts without some clever reinforcement. Some unintended benefit might include better tracking and handling of the boat, heh. Hope this provides at least a conversation starter, looking forward to seeing how you move forward!
Iso / Side view of current pod assembly
Iso / Side view of current pod assembly
Iso / Side view of power assembly with skirt
Iso / Side view of power assembly with skirt
View showing skirt extension beyond hinge point of pod
View showing skirt extension beyond hinge point of pod
Showing skirt mounted to existing hinge hardware
Showing skirt mounted to existing hinge hardware
Section view showing stackup of existing kinge bracket, hinge, then skirt brace / beam on top
Section view showing stackup of existing kinge bracket, hinge, then skirt brace / beam on top
View of the isolated skirt - shown as one part here and in assembly for demo purposes
View of the isolated skirt - shown as one part here and in assembly for demo purposes

richg99

Float pods , hinged

Post by richg99 » 12 Nov 2019, 23:02

Those drawings certainly look like that approach should work.

LDUBS

Float pods , hinged

Post by LDUBS » 13 Nov 2019, 01:28

richg99 wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 23:02
Those drawings certainly look like that approach should work.
X2. And, if I understand, the "skirts" would use the same fasteners that hold the hinges to the hull, so no need for any additional holes.

I wonder if you could get a rough test (with emphasis on rough) of the concept by clamping a piece of angle or something to the transom that extended down to just the outboard bottom side of the pod.
Have Rod - Will Fish

Sparky508

Float pods , hinged

Post by Sparky508 » 13 Nov 2019, 08:34

Churak wrote:
12 Nov 2019, 22:45
Evening Sparky, have loved following this thread and watching the project progress so far!
Thank you sir!

That is a brilliant solution, I think I may have those materials, or enough around to crank that up!!