86 Starcraft BASSV170 Rebuild/refit

My next project.

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut » 05 Jul 2019, 01:26

Bought this Wednesday after work. Going to go pick it up tomorrow morning and bring it to the new shop. Hope to start teardown next week.
20190703_144914.jpg
Looked into doing all Coosa board and it's just a bit under $1700 plus shipping. Not sure I want to go that route. May just do flberglass over wood cores. I have a bunch of hard balsa wood I could use for cores but that is a lot of work. May have to use plywood this time untill budget constraints are looser. If I do a coosa transom and a coosa subfloor now and wood decks I can add coosa decks later. Will have to see. I dont want to be without a boat this summer so using funds from sale of the basstraker isnt an option at this time.

RazorBaits
rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut » 06 Jul 2019, 21:59

After Pop saw it he decided to have me do the new boat here since the new shop is still all messed up and who knows when it will be usable and safe. So I guess he wants to see this come together soon. Decided that the pontoon boat is on temporary hold untill the budget changes a bit. We want to do some nice seats and console ect to it so will wait till the Basstraker sells.
So as soon as I get this Starcraft on the water the MV16 will be for sale. Pop says he can go out on my boat this summer lol.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut » 08 Jul 2019, 18:21

Got a bit of teardown done before the heat drove me indoors. All the original flotation foam above the subfloor is still in great condition and can be reused. Haven't got it cleaned up enough to see if the foam is still good below the floor. I'm betting it's not. From what I can see it looks to be pour in foam and is likely cooked.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut » 08 Jul 2019, 18:27

Also since the hatch covers are all aluminum with plywood inside them my cost to redeck just dropped as it will use thinner material than I originally figured. Going to have to give HDPE a try inside the hatch covers. With some bracing and more pour foam I can go down to the thin Coosa board for the floor. Going to have to refigure this.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut » 14 Jul 2019, 20:27

After several attacks on the well entrenched Red wasps with spray, I was able to remove the console, fron deck and rod locker framing. The floor was so bad it just crumbles. Enough of the pour foam is dried out and crunchy that it must all be replaced. What brands ect do you fine gents use? This will be my first time using it so ease of use is largely important. Thanks.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut » 20 Jul 2019, 19:38

Ok boys and girls. This is on standby once teardown is done. I have $400 of the $950 put away so far. A few more weeks and I can order the Coosa Bluewater 26 for the floor decks amd transom. Then I will need pour foam and either carpet, or faux teak deck covering.

Turd Ferguson

Post by Turd Ferguson » 20 Jul 2019, 19:48

rcaircraftnut wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:27
After several attacks on the well entrenched Red wasps with spray, I was able to remove the console, fron deck and rod locker framing. The floor was so bad it just crumbles. Enough of the pour foam is dried out and crunchy that it must all be replaced. What brands ect do you fine gents use? This will be my first time using it so ease of use is largely important. Thanks.
I plan to use Totalboat Pour In Foam on my rig. Haven’t tried the stuff yet, but it has good reviews on Amazon and I’ve used a lot of their products with great success. They make it in a 2 and 6 pound density, I plan to use the 2 because you get a greater yield volume and less dense = better flotation.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut » 20 Jul 2019, 21:05

Turd Ferguson wrote:
20 Jul 2019, 19:48
rcaircraftnut wrote:
14 Jul 2019, 20:27
I plan to use Totalboat Pour In Foam on my rig. Haven’t tried the stuff yet, but it has good reviews on Amazon and I’ve used a lot of their products with great success. They make it in a 2 and 6 pound density, I plan to use the 2 because you get a greater yield volume and less dense = better flotation.

I was looking at that. Looks like a good option.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut » 15 Aug 2019, 17:39

Been working crazy hours at the concrete co as we had 2 guys quit. I will be getting materials to get started on the floor and transom soon. My lil brother moved back in so had to help him out as well as new eye glasses so my savings went bye bye.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut » 17 Oct 2019, 19:26

Finally got a chance to get done with teardown. I will say it again. DO NOT USE TREATED PLYWOOD IN ALUMINUM BOATS. I can't get the pics to upload at the moment but there is severe pitting across the transom from the wood that was used. Several go through completely. Will have to break out the torch and alumaweld rods again.

rcaircraftnut

Post by rcaircraftnut » 10 Nov 2019, 11:08

Going to try to get some work done on the transom today.