12' Aluminum Sea King Renovation

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
bikerider
Posts: 143
Joined: 18 Apr 2018, 00:17

12' Aluminum Sea King Renovation

Post by bikerider » 29 Nov 2018, 16:56

I think your seats will work just fine. I went back and looked at your pics and see the blocks you are talking about. I thought the same of mine before trying them out. I have them on clamp on swivel bases and my benches in the boat are kind of high, but to my surprise they worked out beautifully. The boat is still very stable. I had three people including myself on the lake all day and I couldn't believe how well the boat did. In all honesty the seats are one of the best mods. It makes the boat so much more comfortable.

I started with a bare 12ft Starcraft boat and after using it for a few years with just a trolling motor and battery, decided that I wanted to get it better suited to fishing. I like the boat to be organized as much as possible and wanted to optimize space and usability. I added a hook for the bow line, two folding seats on swivels, four rod holders, an anchor lock and danforth anchor, cupholders, a fish finder, a small toolbox, and gas outboard that I made from an Evinrude 6hp lower unit and Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp motor that I had laying around. The current projects are a small bow deck (you'll see the cardboard template in the pics), guide ons for the trailer (which are unfinished in the pic) and a 3 gallon auxiliary fuel tank for the outboard. My plan for the bow deck is to keep a small cooler under it for the fish I catch and a small duffel bag or box for extra sunscreen etc. I ratchet strapped down the seat clamps, fishfinder block mount and battery so it wouldn't bounce around while driving. It's not for everyone, but for me it worked perfectly. I wanted the ability to move the seats if needed and the fish finder if it wasn't in the best place in the boat. I have had a lot of fun taking the boat out on the lake and modifying it.
Attachments
starcraft7.jpg
starcraft3.jpg
starcraft4.jpg
starcraft5.jpg
starcraft6.jpg
starcraft2.jpg
starcraft1.jpg
12 ft Starcraft
Setup on a budget for fishing
:fishing:

ajanesz
Posts: 10
Joined: 02 Aug 2018, 11:38

12' Aluminum Sea King Renovation

Post by ajanesz » 03 Dec 2018, 10:32

bikerider wrote:I think your seats will work just fine. I went back and looked at your pics and see the blocks you are talking about. I thought the same of mine before trying them out. I have them on clamp on swivel bases and my benches in the boat are kind of high, but to my surprise they worked out beautifully. The boat is still very stable. I had three people including myself on the lake all day and I couldn't believe how well the boat did. In all honesty the seats are one of the best mods. It makes the boat so much more comfortable.

I started with a bare 12ft Starcraft boat and after using it for a few years with just a trolling motor and battery, decided that I wanted to get it better suited to fishing. I like the boat to be organized as much as possible and wanted to optimize space and usability. I added a hook for the bow line, two folding seats on swivels, four rod holders, an anchor lock and danforth anchor, cupholders, a fish finder, a small toolbox, and gas outboard that I made from an Evinrude 6hp lower unit and Briggs and Stratton 6.5hp motor that I had laying around. The current projects are a small bow deck (you'll see the cardboard template in the pics), guide ons for the trailer (which are unfinished in the pic) and a 3 gallon auxiliary fuel tank for the outboard. My plan for the bow deck is to keep a small cooler under it for the fish I catch and a small duffel bag or box for extra sunscreen etc. I ratchet strapped down the seat clamps, fishfinder block mount and battery so it wouldn't bounce around while driving. It's not for everyone, but for me it worked perfectly. I wanted the ability to move the seats if needed and the fish finder if it wasn't in the best place in the boat. I have had a lot of fun taking the boat out on the lake and modifying it.
Thanks for posting these! I like the strap idea for the fish finder - i hadn't thought about doing it that way. I have one that I want to mount somewhere but I'm not sure where yet. Do you mind me asking what type / how you installed the cupholders? I didn't really see them in the photos you posted. I think it's too late to do inset cupholders but maybe something that mounts on to the side somewhere?

bikerider
Posts: 143
Joined: 18 Apr 2018, 00:17

12' Aluminum Sea King Renovation

Post by bikerider » 04 Dec 2018, 19:02

ajanesz wrote: Thanks for posting these! I like the strap idea for the fish finder - i hadn't thought about doing it that way. I have one that I want to mount somewhere but I'm not sure where yet. Do you mind me asking what type / how you installed the cupholders? I didn't really see them in the photos you posted. I think it's too late to do inset cupholders but maybe something that mounts on to the side somewhere?
You're welcome :). My first choice would be inset cupholders too, but since I don't have cabinets or wood seats I made do with the cheap plastic cup holders you can find at almost any auto parts store. I have a couple smaller ones, like what would hold a can of pop and two larger ones that will hold a larger thermos bottle. On the back you will see I just hooked them over the edge of the transom and then used the existing bolts going into the transom to secure them in place. I put a piece of tape over the screw heads to keep them from scaring my water bottles. I wanted a cup holder for my passenger(s) too so I had to get a little creative for the side mounted one. I did not want to drill holes in the boat so I cut a few small pieces of scrap wood I had into a mount that would basically clamp to the gunwale after being screwed together. Then I just cut the very end off the plastic cup holder, screwed it down and painted the wood silver to tie in with the boat. In hindsight I would have cut the bottom wood piece a bit shorter but oh well. The rear cupholders have held up well. I've been out on the water many times since adding them. The side one has done well so far, but time will tell if it stays that way.
Attachments
Resized_20181204_144026_8587.jpeg
Resized_20181204_144105_1612.jpeg
Resized_20181204_144120_2476.jpeg
12 ft Starcraft
Setup on a budget for fishing
:fishing:

ajanesz
Posts: 10
Joined: 02 Aug 2018, 11:38

12' Aluminum Sea King Renovation

Post by ajanesz » 12 Apr 2019, 12:56

IMG_0547.jpg
Just wanted to post an update.

Got rid of the vinyl plank floor and went to carpet. The carpet helps with reducing weight and the vinyl plank was often slippery.

See you all on the water!

bikerider
Posts: 143
Joined: 18 Apr 2018, 00:17

12' Aluminum Sea King Renovation

Post by bikerider » 12 Apr 2019, 13:33

Looks good. Those seats look awfully comfortable too.
12 ft Starcraft
Setup on a budget for fishing
:fishing:

skanders01
Posts: 40
Joined: 11 Aug 2016, 11:28

12' Aluminum Sea King Renovation

Post by skanders01 » 31 Oct 2019, 11:57

I am (besides being a little late to the conversation) extremely impressed with the creativity of the work on this boat. Being a retired mechanical engineer, I am particularly impressed with the "field" engineered from available stuff motor. Done a few things myself that generated more than one "WHY ?".

Since 50% ++ of my time on the water is just me, and I am a small water guy, I was thinking about starting a 12' tinnie project. I have a nice older larger boat for when company wants to come to fish with me, but I would just prefer the simplicity of a small, built for me by me fishing boat.

So, now, the question that comes first is, "What vintage 12' boat to procure to get my project off the ground. I need opinions from the experts and not so experts who contribute to this awesome sites forums. I would plan to strip it down to bare aluminum and, if need be, rebuild the transom so I don't need a pretty looking old girl to get me going.

I have no preconceived favorites, I just want an older timer that is rugged and stable. Both this SeaKing and the contributors StarCraft look like nice boats.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Not sure this is the best forum to ask for this input, so I would also be grateful for any suggestions as for other forums or sites to plead for input. Input as to where other than this site or Craigslist to find my project starter would also be appreciated. I live in Wisconsin within site of the Mighty Mississippi, north of Lacrosse, so any leads for me nearer by would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Kyle Anderson

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2564
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

12' Aluminum Sea King Renovation

Post by LDUBS » 31 Oct 2019, 15:15

skanders01 wrote:
31 Oct 2019, 11:57
I am (besides being a little late to the conversation) extremely impressed with the creativity of the work on this boat. Being a retired mechanical engineer, I am particularly impressed with the "field" engineered from available stuff motor. Done a few things myself that generated more than one "WHY ?".

Since 50% ++ of my time on the water is just me, and I am a small water guy, I was thinking about starting a 12' tinnie project. I have a nice older larger boat for when company wants to come to fish with me, but I would just prefer the simplicity of a small, built for me by me fishing boat.

So, now, the question that comes first is, "What vintage 12' boat to procure to get my project off the ground. I need opinions from the experts and not so experts who contribute to this awesome sites forums. I would plan to strip it down to bare aluminum and, if need be, rebuild the transom so I don't need a pretty looking old girl to get me going.

I have no preconceived favorites, I just want an older timer that is rugged and stable. Both this SeaKing and the contributors StarCraft look like nice boats.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Not sure this is the best forum to ask for this input, so I would also be grateful for any suggestions as for other forums or sites to plead for input. Input as to where other than this site or Craigslist to find my project starter would also be appreciated. I live in Wisconsin within site of the Mighty Mississippi, north of Lacrosse, so any leads for me nearer by would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!
Kyle Anderson

Well, since you said any input is appreciated I'll chip in. Just keep in mind I fall into the "Not so expert" category. Lol

A motivating factor for me to do what you are talking about would be the project itself. That and having a boat that is customized 100% to my preferences.

Beyond that, when talking about going out solo, I see little advantage to trailering a 12' boat vs a 14', 16' or 18' boat. On the water, I think there is very little advantage to a 12' boat vs a 16' boat but there is a lot of advantage for a 16 footer over a 12 footer.

So, I guess my thinking is go bigger if you can. Enjoy the project.
Have Rod - Will Fish

Post Reply