It is currently 10 Dec 2018, 10:15
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 02:29 

Cant wait to see more of this build.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2018, 19:31 

Finally got to pour some of the foam. I blocked the drain channels on the bottom of the boat with some scrap FRP from my 1436 and laid a piece of bamboo atop them to create a horizontal cavity on the underside of the foam so any water in the boat can drain to the channels. I cut a piece of heavy painters plastic oversized by more than twice the width and a few feet longer than the main floor section, so the foam can be poured inside the plastic and expand to fill the voids between the ribs. The plastic will act as a vapor barrier for the foam, while also keeping it from spilling into the drain channels and filling them.

Protecting the drain channels and creating the latteral drain cavity:

Fitting the plastic to the main floor section to be foamed. Notice how it's folded over on itself. I pour the foam at the inside of the fold and shimmed the trailer so the foam naturally runs toward that side.

Plywood in place to form the foam level to the top of the ribs:

Plastic opened up for pouring:

Foam is made combining equal parts A & B. Solo cups are great for quick measurements - fill each to the same marking inside the cup and you know you're working with even proportions:

Stirring foam is about the only thing a plastic knife is good for:

Mix till the color of pancake batter:

That little test batch expanded into this messy blob. I was testing to see if the leftover foam from my 1436 was still good...it appears to be!

Mixed a 3/4 full cup of combined 2 parts and poured in the cavity in the boat. A few cinder blocks keep the foam expanding only inbetween the ribs where it's been poured. It doesn't exert too much pressure where it would blow out the plastic on the inside edge of the fold.

About 15~20 minutes the foam is done expanding and solidified in its proper form:

The plastic actually doesn't bond well to the foam and pealed away easily:

View from underneath lifting the poured plank up - note the thin spot at the center formed by the bamboo in the way. All that gets moved onto the next cavity right on down the line:

Posting between pours while I wait for it to set up. Going to be at it for a while tonight. I'll circle back and complete the little bit of the end on the side opposite the fold once each cavity is 75% filled.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2018, 00:39 

Finished with the floor foam:

Next up framing & rod locker.

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2018, 22:44 

Thanks for the detailed documentation. This is going to be handy for anyone using two part foam.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2018, 12:21 

Some more progress last weekend. First, the arsenal of tooling that took me forever to refurbish/ build/ acquire so I could work with aluminum without access to a metal shop:

Bought a home depo cheapo table saw, refurbished a craftsman bandsaw and an old benchtop drill press. The bandsaw and drill press are the 2 of the 3 tools I wish I had when I built the 1436 - they make the framing SOOO much easier.

Home made sheet metal bender - 1/2" flat steel bars and 3/8" 3x3 angle my father had lying around:

And lastly the 3rd favorite tool...pneumatic riveter for the cherrymax rivets:

I should mention setting the framing with solid rivets, while noisy as hell, does yield a much tighter connection.

Rough layout of where everything will be going in the boat as I progress:

Tight bends for the edges of hatches do not work on this bender - I needed the vise brake by Grizzly (H3243) and slowly nibbled my way down the bendline 4" at a time, taking 2 passes to make the full 90 degree bend. These jaws come in a 6" size which would have been nicer but my vise isn't big enough.:

Cutting the sheets to size with a fence and circular saw:

Bending the edges of the sheets under the side plates to control the flow of rain water towards the floor drains that will be installed later (one side tucked behind the side plate, needed to adjust the bend before I mounted the other side plate):

Nice & tight once lined up:

Cherrymax rivets for the framing connection to the hull ribs:

Framed the stringers for the rear bench seat and the first stringer for the extended bow deck. I'm doing all the long stringer runs first, then I'll come back and cut the vertical supports from the scraps I have left. Very likely I'll need to hit up http://www.onlinemetals.com for another order of 1"x1"x.125" 6061 angle before I'm through.

That's it for now. Headaches and bad weather will probably sideline further progress until the weekend.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 08:57 

Too much keeps getting in the way of progress - but the new bench cushion arrived. Colors matched perfectly to the original decals on the hull.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 10:16 

Love that seat color!

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2