The poor man's fishing boat

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
lap202

Re: The poor man's fishing boat

Post by lap202 » 06 Jun 2018, 17:00

richg99 wrote:Unless your gunnel is dented or damaged, there is no reason why you cannot run the wires there. Be careful not to leave sharp edges where you drill your access holes.

On a Carolina Skiff, I owned a long time ago, wires were run through the rubber gunnel protector.

Another method of running wires is to use CPVC or PVC tubing on the inside of the sidewalls.
Will be using rubber fittings so metal edges wont be a problem.

As I'm on a hard budget I figure using the existing boat instead of running PVC will save me some cash. Will still end up running some PVC in the middle but not much.

My girlfriend and son are back from a trip so my progress will slow down to a crawl. Hopefully will find time to invest in the boat here soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RazorBaits
lap202

Post by lap202 » 18 Jun 2018, 17:04

So havent left an update in awhile as I havent got much more done on the boat. I got the trailer working by running a ground from 1 side of the hinged trailer to the other. Have been fishing the boat ever since.

This last weekend we fished 3 out of it successfully, tho it only topped at 11 and really dragged with the 6hp. Will be trying g a 10 hp on it sometime to see if it can handle it.

With 1 or 2 people the boat can fly. Only concerns right now are in regard to the battery and motors putting too much weight on the back when it's just me.

Will be looking at either front mounting my trolling motor or running wires to relocate the battery. Once my deck is in that may help also.Image

richg99

Post by richg99 » 18 Jun 2018, 17:54

Re Front Mount trolling motor. 99% of high dollar Bass boats have them on the front.

It is easier to pull a string than to push it.

lap202

Post by lap202 » 18 Jun 2018, 20:03

richg99 wrote:Re Front Mount trolling motor. 99% of high dollar Bass boats have them on the front.

It is easier to pull a string than to push it.
It will be easy enough with this trolling motor to rotate it. Will then add a foot switch I found that will be between the battery and motor so I can turn it on and off from my pedestal I'll be putting in up front.

richg99

Post by richg99 » 18 Jun 2018, 20:10

A foot switch is a great addition to any hand controlled trolling motor, IMHO. I've used the Big Foot brand, but just be sure your switch is rated for the amperage that a T.M. uses.

https://smile.amazon.com/Trolling-Switc ... dpSrc=srch