The poor man's fishing boat

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
LDUBS

Post by LDUBS » 30 May 2018, 23:19

You did a nice job taking the "kink" out of the gunnel. Well done.
Have Rod - Will Fish

Xtremeboats
lap202

Post by lap202 » 31 May 2018, 01:49

LDUBS wrote:You did a nice job taking the "kink" out of the gunnel. Well done.
I actually didnt expect it to turn out as well as it did. I just cranked down on it in a couple different spots till it was at this point.

I think this boat has the potential to turn some heads one day... Haha jk. Has the potential to get me on the water and not on the shore. :)

Took a wire brush to the paint today to see how difficult it be to get the outside to the metal....

Definitely need to get some stripper to speed things up.Image

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lap202

Post by lap202 » 31 May 2018, 04:13

richg99 wrote:As far as recarpeting the bunks, you might consider topping the wood with 3*4 PVC gutter downspouts, cut lengthwise. Makes them very slippery. I have a post on here someplace. Let me know if you can't find it. rich
Finally took the time to find that post. Going to go my current route and just carpet the bunks for now as I want the boat fishable by this friday. I might actually have downspouts in my garage. I'll have to check!

richg99

Post by richg99 » 31 May 2018, 07:10

They make two different sizes of downspouts. In my case, I needed the 3*4 ones.

lap202

Post by lap202 » 31 May 2018, 17:09

Got the bunks back on the trailer and will be heading out tomorrow for the boats maiden voyage.

Got some green outdoor carpet for free and will be using it for horizontal surfaces and painting verticle surfaces white.ImageImage

richg99

Post by richg99 » 31 May 2018, 17:24

Coming along. FREE is good.

lap202

Post by lap202 » 01 Jun 2018, 23:47

So today didnt go as planned unfortunately. My fishing buddy (girlfriends brother) came out to get the rest of the neccesary things done so we could take it out today. After sanding the boat (Only where my number goes) and applying the stickers we were almost ready to go.
.Image
Hooked up the trailer... no go on the lights. Wired it perfect so I got test the 4 pin and the thing has power between all the pins no matter where I test it.

So tomorrow I'll be getting a new connector so we can use the trailer. If it wasn't so windy I was debating strapping it to the top of the vehicle and calling it good.
---

We still went fishing at a small dam nearby. A thunderstorm was slowly rolling in, nothing severe so we just stood out on the dam and kept fishing...
To make things fun the wind suddenly picked up and water suddenly flowed over the dam. Chair went in and bye bye powerbait, but chair was saved along with the lamps and beverages we had sitting on the dam.

Tippy towed our way off as the rushing water made it slippery. So that was entertaining.
--

Other news the paint jobs done were not properly prepped (I paint for a living) and is some of the easiest I've removed so may take a night to get exterior all the way down

richg99

Post by richg99 » 02 Jun 2018, 09:22

When you own a boat, you always have something to do...or fix. Ha Ha

Re your trailer lights..90% of all trailer lighting issues are usually a bad ground someplace.

rich

lap202

Post by lap202 » 02 Jun 2018, 12:03

richg99 wrote:When you own a boat, you always have something to do...or fix. Ha Ha

Re your trailer lights..90% of all trailer lighting issues are usually a bad ground someplace.

rich
What I noticed on the lights is if it my test light to the ground on the connector while the cable is completely unplugged, I get power through the light.

Thinking a bad crimp in the connector.

richg99

Post by richg99 » 02 Jun 2018, 13:28

Two things that I have done with used trailers.. #1 add two new ground wires, running them from the rear lights up to the front electrical connector. That eliminated many of the ground issues.

#2 These days, I just go buy a set of LED lights. Most come with the extra connectors. If not, I add them. LEDs are the best thing to eliminate trailer light issues, IMHO.

lap202

Post by lap202 » 03 Jun 2018, 05:41

richg99 wrote:Two things that I have done with used trailers.. #1 add two new ground wires, running them from the rear lights up to the front electrical connector. That eliminated many of the ground issues.

#2 These days, I just go buy a set of LED lights. Most come with the extra connectors. If not, I add them. LEDs are the best thing to eliminate trailer light issues, IMHO.
I'm thinking it may be related to the trailer having 2 parts as it has a swivel in the middle for easy launching.
--

Today we decided to just toss it on top of a jeep and take it out for a test run. Our first attempt we launched into a stream by a dam that leads to a lake with no other access. Due to fast currents, water that was too shallow in random spots, and a bit of inexperience; we ended up standing on top of the dam walking the boat to the side and relocating to a different lake.

Second attempt went better and we were on our way when we noticed water coming in... we just got out so we weren't calling it quits. We stuffed a plastic bag in the hole which sealed better than some of the rivets on this boat.

Once home I decided to see how long it would take to sand all the paint off... 4 hours and 20% of it done I decided to wait till I can afford paint stripper. Also put rivets and silicon in the 2 holes on the back.

Still haven't got my small decks in, but will see what happens and if I get time soon.ImageImageImageImageImage

richg99

Post by richg99 » 03 Jun 2018, 07:43

If your trailer is TWO parts (hinged), then for sure I would run extra ground wires to the front.

lap202

Post by lap202 » 05 Jun 2018, 22:57

Trailer is hinged so we will be running wires. For the electronics on the boat I was curious if I could run the wires through the gunwale.

I'd have a hole drilled in the back, one drilled in the middle and a hole drilled in the front.

These would be for the rear and front navigation lights and the hole in the middle would be for the led floor lights I'm adding.

Battery will sit in the back.

richg99

Post by richg99 » 06 Jun 2018, 06:39

Unless your gunnel is dented or damaged, there is no reason why you cannot run the wires there. Be careful not to leave sharp edges where you drill your access holes.

On a Carolina Skiff, I owned a long time ago, wires were run through the rubber gunnel protector.

Another method of running wires is to use CPVC or PVC tubing on the inside of the sidewalls.

onthewater102

Post by onthewater102 » 06 Jun 2018, 13:49

I tried on a sea nymph but I think the end of the metal that made up the sides were rough as it chewed up the wire insulation pretty badly just snaking them through. You'll know quickly enough if you've got that issue.
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp