Where to mount depth finder/fish locator on tiller boat?

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
oakchas

Re: Where to mount depth finder/fish locator on tiller boat?

Post by oakchas » 24 May 2018, 15:28

I got a flag pole holder. The kind that mounts a flag pole to the house. They're aluminum. I then got a 1" dowel and inserted it into the rod holder, covered it with 1" ID pvc pipe. I can keep the sonar in view while piloting the tiller steer motor. You can make any length you want, any angles you want... See my post on 1966 mirrocraft (last page) for more details.ImageImage

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Xtremeboats
kdgrills

Where to mount depth finder/fish locator on tiller boat?

Post by kdgrills » 24 May 2018, 22:03

Late to the party, but here's mine.

I pieced together some scrap plywood,
stained it with some old deck stain I had laying around,
& mounted my tachometer & depth finder to it.

There's enough cable to move it anywhere in the boat I need it.
It generally lives on the port side shelf, or on the center bench.

Pay no attention to the mess of cable on the floor, that's since been cleaned up.
2018-04-22 10.50.37.jpg

GrandpaMike

Re: Where to mount depth finder/fish locator on tiller boat?

Post by GrandpaMike » 20 Jun 2018, 05:53

More good ideas! I had purchased a used trolling motor. A Minnkota bow mount with a wireless foot pedal and installed it. It ran fine on the donor boat but never ran on mine. The motor itself is fine, it's the electronics that failed. I finally took it to a Fixit clinic and three electronics guys tried to help me. After an hour and a half they declared the main circuit board to be dead. RIP.

It is old enough that you cannot but the part so I ordered a Motor Guide Xi3 that should arrive today. If/when I upgrade my fish finder to any Lowrance model with GPS, it will interact with it, so at that point making the fish finder a little more mobile in the boat would be nice.

New fish finder is down the road a bit, but nice to have these other ideas for planning.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
GrandpaMike