It is currently 19 Aug 2018, 13:19
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: One man’s junk...
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 09:39 

Hey, i got this old 1973 tinner from my neighbor, fixed it up a bit and sold it right away to get my next project......smallish but a sweet little boat!

DSC00557.JPG
DSC00558.JPG

NightKrawler

Post subject: Re: One man’s junk...
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2018, 10:14 

NightKrawler wrote:
Hey, i got this old 1973 tinner from my neighbor, fixed it up a bit and sold it right away to get my next project......smallish but a sweet little boat!

Wow yours turned out great! I’m betting it looked better than mine to start with. What did you use for the seats? They came out looking good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2018, 18:28 

I used Epiphanes Varnish, a marine grade I had left from past project on my old Chriscraft. The boat actually sat in my neighbors yard upside down for at least 15 years or so....finally i ask if he wanted to sell it, and he said, I could just have it! Heck of a deal. I did re-do the transom board inside and out as well, it had some old oars so I bought a set of shorty's and threw on the 6hp Yamaha.......the guy that bought it wanted it for a private small lake and so i kept the trailer and the Yamaha and sold it to him for $350.00.......he went home happy!

NightKrawler

PostPosted: 07 Apr 2018, 14:39 

I went with the red neck fix on the bottom runner. Cleaned it with a wire wheel and used JB weld. I drilled out 4 rivets and replaced which pulled the gap shut. I then smeared JB on both sides of the rivets. ImageImage
My daughter helped me paint the inside with Tremclad/Rustoleum aluminum which I think looks a lot better.

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 11:13 

Only as small diversion, but the title of this thread is so true. This boat is exactly the same one (vintage, model, etc.) as my first boat in the 70's. I was 16 years old and bought it from someone in my bass fishing club. I thought it was the most beautiful boat in the world. Started out with a 1957 Evinrude 18, then later upgraded to a 25hp Johnson. If it had been rated (it was too early for that) it probably only would have been rated for about a 9.9, mebbe less. Anyway it would go like a bat out of H**L - scary fast only I was to young and dumb to be scared. At one point I had my name painted in large script on the side of it like the bass fishing pros of the day, but ran out of money to have it painted on the other side of the boat. Caught a lot out of it from North Carolina to Northern New England, and even sunk it once under the Chesapeake Bay bridge jigging for rockfish when it took a big wave over the stern.

Anyway, the old saying one mans trash is another mans treasure still holds..... :)

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 21:53 

No illusions here, I’m just putting lipstick on a pig. Lol. Don’t know if this thing would float with a 25 and me in it. Glad it brought back some memories!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2018, 22:02 

ImageImage
Got a little done on the transom tonight. Board, angle, caps. Should make it a little more rigid. I’m going to put more than 2 bolts but I think I’ll put a small plate on the back first

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 21:13 

Flipped the hull tonight and started playing around with this nyalox brush. Next thing I knew, half the boat was done. The paint underneath the sticker shows what color it was, coincidentally I happen to have a can of safety blue.
I hadn’t intended to strip it right down, just a scuff and paint. But the brush was doing a good job and it came off fairly quickly.

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 23:00 

Weldorthemagnificent wrote:
I went with the red neck fix on the bottom runner. Cleaned it with a wire wheel and used JB weld. I drilled out 4 rivets and replaced which pulled the gap shut. I then smeared JB on both sides of the rivets. ImageImage
My daughter helped me paint the inside with Tremclad/Rustoleum aluminum which I think looks a lot better.

You are a welder that used jb weld? Smh you should have took that to the grave

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 23:08 

Flipped the hull tonight and started playing around with this nyalox brush. Next thing I knew, half the boat was done. The paint underneath the sticker shows what color it was, coincidentally I happen to have a can of safety blue.
I hadn’t intended to strip it right down, just a scuff and paint. But the brush was doing a good job and it came off fairly quickly.

how do you think the brush would do on old carpet adhesive?

PostPosted: 10 Apr 2018, 23:14 

Prowelder wrote:

You are a welder that used jb weld? Smh you should have took that to the grave

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know. I hang my head in shame. Lol. I don’t have a tig machine at home and where I work I’m not able to drag boats in. Besides this is supposed to be a throw in the back of the truck drag over rocks blood and guts fishing boat.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 06:41 

dwjones16 wrote:

how do you think the brush would do on old carpet adhesive?

Not as well I wouldn’t think. It really didn’t work that great on my last project for paint removal. This paint seemed to come off easier. I would try stripper first.

PostPosted: 11 Apr 2018, 22:40 

Part of the process with these projects that I enjoy is buying and selling stuff. I picked up these tanks for $10 a piece which was good enough but the guy selling them was worth the $20 just to talk to. Took me 2 hours to complete the trip 15 minutes away!
Got home and hustled into the garage and finished the hull cleaning. This is the ugly side with a patch on it. Who knows what happened here but it got clobbered pretty hard at some point. The patch, while ugly, seems sound and I intend to leave it alone.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2018, 00:04 

Part of the process with these projects that I enjoy is buying and selling stuff. I picked up these tanks for $10 a piece which was good enough but the guy selling them was worth the $20 just to talk to. Took me 2 hours to complete the trip 15 minutes away!

Got home and hustled into the garage and finished the hull cleaning. This is the ugly side with a patch on it. Who knows what happened here but it got clobbered pretty hard at some point. The patch, while ugly, seems sound and I intend to leave it alone.

Hey, the patch gives it a certain character.

Have you considered painting bait fish on the bottom? I saw where some of the salt water guys put bait fish decals on the bottom of their hulls. Seems like a completely dumb idea to me. That is probably why I would do it if I ever painted the bottom of my boat.

PostPosted: 12 Apr 2018, 06:45 

LDUBS wrote:

Hey, the patch gives it a certain character.

Have you considered painting bait fish on the bottom? I saw where some of the salt water guys put bait fish decals on the bottom of their hulls. Seems like a completely dumb idea to me. That is probably why I would do it if I ever painted the bottom of my boat.

Maybe I’ll try that. It might improve my luck!

Page 2 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next