It is currently 18 Oct 2018, 05:37
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

AirboatCoatings

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 20:40 

I wanted to share the fish finder set up that I have McGyvered together. I bought this Lowrance a couple years ago and made this set-up portable so that I could take it on the family Canadian fly-in trip and use it on my float tube. I can mount the transducer on a piece of wood that clamps to the stern of the boat (my new one or the outfitter's in Canada) or rests on a strap on the float tube. i ran the power cable from the unit into a waterproof box and put insulated quick disconnects and an inline fuse on it. I can use a pack of 10 rechargeable AA's to get 12V or use the cabelas 12V battery. the AA set up gets me about 3 hours of run time, so 2 packs lasts 6 hours, which is more than i can last in the float tube. the cabelas battery holds 8 Amp-hours and lasts about 3 full days of fishing. the solar panel is designed to trickle charge a battery on a car that sits in the driveway most of the time. 2 of these with some recharging from sunlight will last a full 7 days, and weigh about 10 pounds total.

I think i want to keep it all set up the same way for the boat. I can have it in rear of the boat when I am trolling, and move the display up to the front when casting without having to do anything to the transducer. I might run wires to plug into the main electrical system of the boat, but I have not decided on that yet.

File comment: fish finder set up
Photo Mar 11, 9 57 56 AM.jpg

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 20:58 

Are you using pressure treated wood for your new bunks?

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 20:09 

lckstckn2smknbrls wrote:
When you say the new bunks are too wet are you saying your using pressure treated wood?

no, didn't use pressure treated wood for the bunks.

PostPosted: 17 May 2017, 20:36 

getting closer. the framing, foam replacement, and decking are finished. so is the electrical system, check that out here: https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopi ... =5&t=43061 .

I took it out on the water one time, pretty happy with everything, but the motor didn't run like it did in the fall, so I will have to work on it more.

as far as weight goes, the framing added 55 pounds and the plywood (used about 3 full sheets), carpet, and fasteners added another 120 pounds.

other weights: motor - 90, gas tank (full) - 30, trolling motor - 30, 2 group 27 everstart batteries - 100, and another 50ish for misc seats, lights, anchors, etc. puts the total right around 500 pounds.

the boat is rated for 915, so by myself it will be OK, but it will be close if I take a buddy with me.

File comment: decking finished
Photo Apr 21, 11 55 31 AM.jpg
File comment: installing the foam and decking
Photo Apr 21, 8 36 55 AM.jpg
File comment: completed framing
Photo Apr 16, 4 40 52 PM.jpg

PostPosted: 30 Jun 2017, 18:37 

I finally gave up trying to figure out the problems with the motor and took it to a marina. They fixed it up and it runs OK now. I've had the boat out a few times to test it out and I guess I have to call it "done"! though I'm sure I will continue to tinker with it. Everything is working great, just as I had planned.

Here is a picture of how it looks in the water.

here are links to the other threads i started in the appropriate forums about the motor:

https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopi ... 3+evinrude

and electrical systems:

https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopi ... =5&t=43061

I also wanted to share the costs for anyone who is considering doing a similar project. I realize every project is different, but this will at least give a ball park figure for someone just starting out.

boat, motor, trailer (bought off craigslist) and registration $1250
materials for boat conversion (lumber, plywood, carpet, fasteners) $600
trailer repair (hitch for car, lights, wires, bunks, new fasteners, added trailer jack, spare tire) $300
USCG requirements (life jackets, throwable, extinguisher, portbale marine radio, etc.) $150
motor repair $650
boat cover $120
trolling motor (Minn Kota Powerdrive, 2 walmart group 27 batteries, minn kota power center, smart battery charger) $800
electrical system (switch, fuse box, LED lights, running lights, misc connectors) $400

total of just over $4000

File comment: finished... for now
Photo Jun 28, 5 53 47 PM.jpg

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2