It is currently 17 Feb 2018, 17:44
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

VinylImagesInc

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 13:58 

Joined: 10 Apr 2012, 20:28
Posts: 32
Lonedrake wrote:
I did the same thing with an old bass tracker. Added a 15hp tiller.


Nice,
Yours appears to be in better shape than mine. :D


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 20:58 

Joined: 10 Apr 2012, 20:28
Posts: 32
Update: Removed the floor and the waterlogged Styrofoam.. Bet the boat weighs 75 pounds lighter. I could not believe how waterlogged the foam was, like a sponge.

Image

Image

Image


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 22:29 

Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 19:36
Posts: 450
Location: middle of NC
I'm eyeballing your console. Wonder if it's something I could utilize if I take the plunge and buy another boat. Funny thing is I sold my last one cause I don't fish anymore. I just like the idea of putting a boat together after seeing all these great projects.



_________________
16 ft Lowe Jumbo V2 w/30 Mariner
14 ft Monark w/25 Merc XD sold
1994 Lowe 1605 w/50 Evinrude sold
14 ft Lone Star w/15hp Evinrude sold
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 09:43 

Joined: 10 Apr 2012, 20:28
Posts: 32
water bouy wrote:
I'm eyeballing your console. Wonder if it's something I could utilize if I take the plunge and buy another boat. Funny thing is I sold my last one cause I don't fish anymore. I just like the idea of putting a boat together after seeing all these great projects.



I had at first thought about using it, but decided to go tiller steer. I bought a 18HP Evinrude that I will be using on the boat. Mostly river fish and wanted a motor that I could easily take off to fish the small lakes around me that only allow a trolling motor.


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 15:34 

Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 19:36
Posts: 450
Location: middle of NC
So the carpet was originally on top of the aluminum floor? Wonder what gauge al it was.



_________________
16 ft Lowe Jumbo V2 w/30 Mariner
14 ft Monark w/25 Merc XD sold
1994 Lowe 1605 w/50 Evinrude sold
14 ft Lone Star w/15hp Evinrude sold
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 21:23 

Joined: 10 Apr 2012, 20:28
Posts: 32
water bouy wrote:
So the carpet was originally on top of the aluminum floor? Wonder what gauge al it was.


Not sure the thickness... It looks to be the same thickness as roof flashing... Not very thick at all.


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 21:51 
User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2010, 09:36
Posts: 4021
Location: Houston, TX & Crossville, TN
16 Gauge a penny
18 Gauge a dime
20 Gauge a credit card

Just found this reference on the internet.

richg99



_________________
"Form follows Function..." &
"There is nothing new under the sun". Ecclesiastes 1:9""
richg99
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 19:05 

Joined: 10 Apr 2012, 20:28
Posts: 32
richg99 wrote:
16 Gauge a penny
18 Gauge a dime
20 Gauge a credit card

Just found this reference on the internet.

richg99



20 gauge (credit card thickness)


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 19:01 

Joined: 10 Apr 2012, 20:28
Posts: 32
I'm still debating on what material to use on the floor.
I really want to use aluminum, would love to have the boat ALL aluminum.
I am going to put foam between the floor "Ribs" Framing. Do you think 16 gauge aluminum would be thick enough if I rivet it to the Ribs.
The original was 20 gauge, but it was bent between the ribs.
I think 16 gauge is .0508" thickness...



richg99 wrote:
16 Gauge a penny
18 Gauge a dime
20 Gauge a credit card

Just found this reference on the internet.

richg99


Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 20 Jul 2016, 19:23 
User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2010, 09:36
Posts: 4021
Location: Houston, TX & Crossville, TN
I'll let others, more versed in which aluminum gauge would be best ,...answer.

I will say, however, that I added blue foam sheets in the cavities below my flooring. It certainly stiffened everything up great.

richg99



_________________
"Form follows Function..." &
"There is nothing new under the sun". Ecclesiastes 1:9""
richg99
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 22 Jul 2016, 22:43 

Joined: 29 Jun 2016, 19:36
Posts: 450
Location: middle of NC
I'm buying a v hull tomorrow and I'm thinking all aluminum floor too. And maybe something other than carpet. With enough stringers the gauge of the floor would not need to be overly heavy?



_________________
16 ft Lowe Jumbo V2 w/30 Mariner
14 ft Monark w/25 Merc XD sold
1994 Lowe 1605 w/50 Evinrude sold
14 ft Lone Star w/15hp Evinrude sold
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 07:54 
User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2012, 00:39
Posts: 85
Location: Central,KS
I'm doing the same thing with 17' bass tracker. Getting close to being done. Used 1/8" aluminum on the floor. To fill in the gaps along the sides I bent some aluminum sheets for fillers. Removed the console,and bought a tiller for my 50 Honda. Completely removed the rear deck,and shortened the front deck 2'. Modified that ugly nose cap,and moved the trolling battery and fuel tank to the front for better balance. The floor is now 12' long,lots of room. I bought hydroturf for the floor to quiet it down and keep it easy to wash slime off of. Took a lil work,but managed to get 14 cu. ft. of foam board stuffed into this build.


20160207_135335.jpg
20160131_195927.jpg
20160405_144855.jpg
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 08:00 
User avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2010, 09:36
Posts: 4021
Location: Houston, TX & Crossville, TN
Very, very nice. Thanks for sharing. richg99



_________________
"Form follows Function..." &
"There is nothing new under the sun". Ecclesiastes 1:9""
richg99
Offline
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: 24 Jul 2016, 10:32 

Joined: 10 Apr 2012, 20:28
Posts: 32
You just made up my mind on what to do.... I'm going aluminum, you boat is a Lot like mine and yours looks Awesome!



Bmac wrote:
I'm doing the same thing with 17' bass tracker. Getting close to being done. Used 1/8" aluminum on the floor. To fill in the gaps along the sides I bent some aluminum sheets for fillers. Removed the console,and bought a tiller for my 50 Honda. Completely removed the rear deck,and shortened the front deck 2'. Modified that ugly nose cap,and moved the trolling battery and fuel tank to the front for better balance. The floor is now 12' long,lots of room. I bought hydroturf for the floor to quiet it down and keep it easy to wash slime off of. Took a lil work,but managed to get 14 cu. ft. of foam board stuffed into this build.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BigLuke, Facebook, Google Adsense [Bot], tanner40, Yahoo [Bot] and 67 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

FishonFabrications