It is currently 18 Aug 2018, 02:31
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

SliderG5

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: 1962 Lone Star Malibu
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2016, 18:08 

Well, I've been busy, but have managed to get a few things accomplished on the boat...unfortunately, none of it is really photo worthy. I got all the remaining holes in the top cap deck filled with rivets and am working on prepping the interior for paint (I have one of the 3M Roloc disks on order, hoping it makes quicker work of this than my wire wheel). I sprayed out a scrap with the Rust-Oleum spray on bed liner and like the finish pretty well; it's much smoother than traditional bed liners but does have a good gripping surface. I think I'm going to give it a try once I get the prep work done.

I replaced the flotation foam in the nose and think I have a workable solution for mounting a cubic foot or so of it along the transom (I'd like more given the weight of the outboard, but I just can't figure out a good arrangement to get more foam at the transom). I guess if it ever sinks, it's going to float down by the stern. I'm also going to fill the front bench with foam, but am debating between pouring it full of expanding polyurethane foam or just using rigid foam.

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2016, 19:20 

enginerd wrote:
sonny.barile wrote:
I used glide sticks to alleviate the corrosion issue I was having with pressure treated bunks. Believe these guys...it is a very real issue.

Out of curiosity, was your hull painted or bare aluminum? Were your bunks carpeted?

I'm familiar with galvanic corrosion, but thought that the carpet, which has a rubber membrane backing, the waterproof marine adhesive, and the fact that the hull is painted would be adequate to isolate the aluminum from the pressure treated lumber.

My hull has a bare bottom. I fish in salt water so it may have worsened the problem. I ended up with what looked like a little gouge. I wire brushed it out with a stainless steel brush and washed the bottom in baking soda and water. I also scrubbed the bunk carpet with baking soda and water. Then I put on the glide sticks. It isn't happening anymore (knock on wood) and it makes getting the boat on and off much easier.

I believe some of the trailer companies now offer a protective plastic piece that runs the whole length of the bunk as an option.

One thing I took notice of recently is it looks like the screws that holt the bunks to the trailer clips are corroding like mad and it is spreading to the clips. Im going to be replacing the bunks and that hardware soon. I need to start researching what Im going to use before I become one of those people you see on the highway with their boat on the blacktop.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=37700
DN13 on the run (video)
http://vid1346.photobucket.com/albums/p ... 3ciqmm.mp4

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 22:28 

sonny.barile wrote:
My hull has a bare bottom. I fish in salt water so it may have worsened the problem.

My hull will be painted and I'll be primarily in fresh water, so I wouldn't think it would be as much of an issue, but I may get the glide sticks anyway just to be on the safe side.

PostPosted: 12 Aug 2016, 23:56 

It's been a while, but I've made some progress. I decided to paint the top cap/deck before the interior and have gotten two coats of white down after vinegar wash, aluminum primer, and bonding primer. I have one final (hopefully) coat of white to put on tomorrow after the last coat has cured. Then I get to move on to the graphics, which will be identical to the original paint scheme, except that I'm going with teal/black instead of red/black.

I leak tested the boat before I started working on the boat by filing it well above the waterline and didn't find any major leaks. There was a minor leak at the rear seam below the transom, but the two side seams were bone dry. Never the less, I applied a generous coat of Gluvit to all the seams.

I attempted to pour expanding liquid urethane foam in the front bench, but failed to read the product literature completely. The foam I have used in the past has a shelf life of 1-year prior to being opened, but this brand, FGCI, only has a shelf life of 6-months and apparently they mean it. #-o I purchased it about 8-months ago when Amazon had a sale figuring that I would use it before the end of the summer. Anyway, I poured a gallon, which should yield 4-cuft, enough to fill the front bench with a little overflow, but only got about 1-cuft of dense "foam." Luckily, I had lined the bench with plastic sheeting (disposable table cloth) to contain it and that made removal of the failed pour a snap (just pulled it out). Now I just need to wait for my new order of foam to arrive and repeat.

I also showed off my skills, or lack there of, in carpentry and fashioned a mahogany dashboard. I debated over adding wood to this aluminum boat due to the maintenance and upkeep that it will entail, but it adds a lot of beauty to the boat and I don't think the dash board and bench tops will be too much of a maintenance headache; if they are I can always remove and replace them in the future. I created a tape template of the dash, used it to cut the 1/8" thick mahogany plywood, and then transferred the necessary holes. I'll sand, stain, and varnish prior to installation, but I couldn't resist mocking it up on the garage floor.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 01:19 

Man , that's gonna look hot when you get done whith it , good job sir .

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 08:49 
Donor

WOW - looking great !!
thank you for posting your project

oh, good save on the bad foam !!!!
if only the manufacturers of yesteryear had the forethought
of putting their foam in plastic bags to fill the cavaties
we would not be having the nightmares of today
with removing waterlogged foam !!

Awesome job so far !! Keep up the good work.

Paint, Thinners and Applications = http://www.paintingforpainters.com/

1959 Crestliner Commodore 14'
1959 Lone Star Malibu 14'
1958 Johnson 35 RDE-19 Sea Horse
1958 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Super Sea Horse

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 15:51 

Johnny wrote:
if only the manufacturers of yesteryear had the forethought of putting their foam in plastic bags to fill the cavaties we would not be having the nightmares of today with removing waterlogged foam !!

I got the idea from the expanding foam packing material (http://www.uline.com/BL_7701/Instapak-Quick) and thought it would make things a lot simpler for keeping my limber holes clear through the bench. I just poked some sticks through under the plastic sheeting and figured after the foam had expanded I could pull them out to leave a cavity for water to pass without interacting with the foam. Every once and a while I come up with a good idea.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2016, 15:53 

daddue11 wrote:
Man , that's gonna look hot when you get done whith it , good job sir .

Johnny wrote:
WOW - looking great !! Awesome job so far !! Keep up the good work.

Thank you both for the encouragement; with luck, I'm hoping to get her on the water before the end of September.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 13:28 

Got my new liquid urethane foam and managed to get the front bench filled. I first laid some wood stick in the bottom through the limber holes in the bench to keep them clear and allow water to flow to the back. I then laid in my plastic sheeting and poured the foam in two stages. I may have gotten a little over zealous with the second pour, but nothing a serrated knife couldn't fix.

Next I just have to finish painting the graphics and then finish up the interior. After that I can start putting it all back together. Slowly, but surely.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 15:41 
Donor

WOW - you done good young man !! Thanks for sharing !!

I hope your tutorial saves many a heartache in the future
from those who want to refoam their boats !!

Great Job !!

Paint, Thinners and Applications = http://www.paintingforpainters.com/

1959 Crestliner Commodore 14'
1959 Lone Star Malibu 14'
1958 Johnson 35 RDE-19 Sea Horse
1958 Johnson 35 RDS-20 Super Sea Horse

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2016, 19:03 

Well, over the weekend I managed to finish off the graphics, but still have to back mask the white on the top for another coat. I waited well over the manufacturer's cure time for the paint (supposedly 48-hours) to mask it for the graphics, but never the less I got some wrinkling under the tape and masking. Not sure what else it could have been other than the paint wasn't fully cured yet. Oh well, nothing I can do now. I'm waiting for at least a week before back masking it to sand and repaint the white, just the top section was effected. Here are a few pictures of the new paint scheme:

For now, it's on to the interior while I let that paint cure.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 06:50 
Donor

Doing great work =D>

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 11:17 

Thanks, even with the wrinkles on the white paint, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm calling it Teal, but my wife keeps referring to it as "Tiffany Blue"...I think she might be hinting at something, just not sure what?

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2016, 12:01 

Looks great, nice work!! =D>

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2016, 20:33 

Well, it's been a while, but I've been out of town and tied up with other things. I have managed to get some work done on the boat since my last post. I got the interior painted and opted to go with the RustOleum spray on bed liner on the floor and painted the sides a lighter tan. The RustOleumm is best equated to just a thick paint and really didn't have that texture that one would normally associate with bed liner. It was slightly rubberized and provides a good gripping surface that seems like it will be pretty resilient to impacts and abrasions. We shall see how it works.

Now I'm getting to the point where things can go back on the boat, which is the exciting part. Just need to build the benches for the seats and then figure out a way to hang the outboard on there. Just in time for boating seaso...drat.

Page 3 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next