1987 Bass Tracker V17

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
onthewater102

1987 Bass Tracker V17

Post by onthewater102 » 29 Jun 2016, 09:46

I have the same motor - according to the info on NADA it weighs 185lbs (though the automatic oiler has been removed on mine so its even lighter still) I was able to pull my utility trailer around behind the boat & support the motor on the skeg on the deck of the utility trailer & I was able to just bear hug it & lift it up onto the transom. I would imagine you could get the front of the trailer elevated & pitch the transom down low you should have no problem getting it off with two people and a set of lifting straps - no hoist involved.
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

Xtremeboats
BigDan

Re: 1987 Bass Tracker V17

Post by BigDan » 29 Jun 2016, 11:26

Not sure what I was trying say as far as removing more decking to access the transom, because looking at it now, what I said makes no sense. I'll blame that on lack of sleep.

I'm thinking that raising the front of the trailer and finding a friend and some lifting straps might be the way to go for removing (and eventually reinstalling) the motor. I think I saw plans for a diy 2x4 motor stand around here somewhere that I'll end up building. I need to grab 2x4 for sawhorses anyways.

Speaking of saw horses, what's the best way to support the boat after pulling the trailer out from under it when I fix up the trailer? I can figure out getting it off the trailer and on whatever supports by raising/lowering the trailer, just not sure what the best support system is. My initial thought, short of building a large support structure with bunks like the trailer, is to use sawhorses, with cargo straps in between and some sort of counterweight, maybe with some 2x4 between the straps and hull to avoid heavy loads on the strakes (I think that's the right word). I was thinking you would want to distribute the weight and avoid any point loads that would damage the hull.

Edit: spelling

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BigDan

Re: 1987 Bass Tracker V17

Post by BigDan » 22 Jul 2016, 14:43

I'd be posting updates but every time I get a chance to work on the boat, the above happens. Frustrating... I would be getting things done this weekend but naturally it's supposed to storm again

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

BigDan

1987 Bass Tracker V17

Post by BigDan » 17 Jun 2018, 21:55

Here's a thread necro but the world seemed to have other plans for my time and that poor boat sat unloved in a garage for a couple years. But after some life changes (buying houses, buying and wrecking new trucks, family drama, and medical issues, etc, etc) I've finally started to try and reassemble my thoughts on this boat and started to finish ripping out all the old, rotted, and broken pieces. More to come soon....