Ouachita 1648

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
meonline06

Ouachita 1648

Post by meonline06 » 29 Apr 2016, 17:28

Well, continuing my pattern of buying a new boat every two years....I bought a new boat. This time around I picked up an old Ouachita 16' flat bottom. It's 48" across at the bottom of the transom and like all of my old boats....It's a piece of junk. At least the guy I bought it from thought it was. I picked it up along with a trailer that is too small for it, a 40 lb thrust foot controlled trolling motor, and a battery. I actually bought this thing last August, but really haven't done anything with it up until a few weeks ago.
20150803_190655.jpg
20150803_190715.jpg
So, when I bought this thing, I didn't really do all of my homework prior to bringing it home. The guy who had it before me worked with metal for a living and had already began tinkering with it. He put in a lot of framing, including removing the old wooden transom and replacing it with metal. At the time I thought that was great and just less work that I was going to have to do. After I got everything home I wanted to get a good look at the trailer, so I went to move the boat to the ground and realized that this thing was way heavier than it should be. Turns out some of the framework the PO had done was steel. Some was aluminum. I'm guessing he just used whatever scrap metal he had left over at work. For the record, I am aware that the steel and the aluminum can react with each other. No, I am not going to remove the steel and start over. I'm sure I will get a few years of fun out of this thing before I will ever run into any problems and as history has proven, I'll have a new boat in a couple years anyway.
20150803_203241.jpg
20150803_203248.jpg
This is pretty much how everything looked day 1. At this point I have already finished framing the front deck. I've cut 19/32" plywood to cover everything and have been fishing from it for several weeks. I wanted to test everything out on the water before I cut out the hatches and seal the wood. I also forgot to mention that after doing a leak test there were maybe 5 or 6 rivets (can't remember) that had very slight leaks. I replaced them and haven't had any issues with water leaks while I've been on the water. I'll post a few more pictures soon.
Last edited by meonline06 on 02 Apr 2019, 08:35, edited 2 times in total.

Xtremeboats
meonline06

Quachita 1648

Post by meonline06 » 12 May 2016, 15:14

It has been raining just about every day that I've been off work over the last few weeks so I haven't been able to do any fishing. You would think that would give me lots of time to work on the boat....but I haven't done much. I found a few pictures of some of the progress I made prior to starting this thread however.
20160406_195229.jpg
20160406_195253.jpg
I don't have a picture that shows all of the bracing after I finished with it. It is mostly 1" square aluminum tubing riveted together. I plan on having 3 compartments in the front deck. One in the center for my rods and two on either side of that. For right now I am going to have 4 hatches in the back. I say for now because I'm considering cutting out the bracing that is already there and redoing it with the aluminum tube.
20160422_221211.jpg
20160422_221334.jpg
20160422_221254.jpg
I haven't cut out the hatches yet. I wanted to fish the boat a few times and make sure that I liked the layout before cutting and sealing the wood. I took it out 3 times and I am happy with everything. If I get some dry weather in the next few days, I'll seal everything up and get some carpet on it. I had been looking for a new trailer and a motor on Craigslist and came across an old fiberglass Ebbtide boat that had a 65 hp motor (probably overkill!!!) and nice trailer for next to nothing, so of course I picked it up! I've already started stripping everything off of the glass boat like the console, lights, switches, so forth and so on.... The motor is an old '74 Mercury 650 that fires right up. It has good compression on all 3 cylinders and has working power tilt. The owner said that the motor bogs down when in the water (under load). I'm no mechanic but for the price it's worth trying to sort out. More pictures to come.
20160418_121546.jpg
First fish on the new boat!
Attachments
20160422_221334.jpg
20160422_221334.jpg

Big_ug_chevy

Quachita 1648

Post by Big_ug_chevy » 12 May 2016, 22:41

I have a 14/48 1972 Quachita that I bought this January. I did a full restoration with a center console convert. Check it out on my profile! Fantastic boat you have there!

meonline06

Re: Quachita 1648

Post by meonline06 » 12 May 2016, 22:57

Big_ug_chevy wrote:I have a 14/48 1972 Quachita that I bought this January. I did a full restoration with a center console convert. Check it out on my profile! Fantastic boat you have there!
Thanks Big! I followed your build and it is pretty amazing. You paid a lot of attention to the details and it shows. I like what you did with the blue LEDs. I'm going to try and do something similar with red.

meonline06

Post by meonline06 » 16 May 2016, 10:01

I finally got a day of sunshine and a day off from work at the same time, so yesterday I cut out the hatches for the front deck and threw some urethane on everything. I'm stuck at work again today but at least it's nice out again. The wood should be sufficiently cured after today, so hopefully I can get the carpet on tomorrow.

Here is what the bracing for the front deck and hatches looks like. Figured I'd snap a picture while the wood is off.

meonline06

Post by meonline06 » 16 May 2016, 10:03

meonline06

Post by meonline06 » 16 May 2016, 10:27

I mentioned before that I picked up an old glass boat that I intend to use mainly for parts to aid my tin project. I thought I'd post a pic. I've already stripped everything excluding the motor and console. The trailer that it is sitting on will be used for my tin boat. The motor was running on muffs but of course now has no spark at all. I'll have to take a day and see if I can diagnose the cause Image .

momule
Donor

Quachita 1648

Post by momule » 18 May 2016, 01:00

Pretty nice old fiberglass bass boat. They made those things heavy back in the day but there's still a lot of them catching fish. I had a 17' square stearned Ouchita(?) canoe some years ago and loved the Indian logo on the sides. That company must have been bought out or went out of business but they made a lot of aluminum boats in Arkansas for a long time. They are getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks for sharing your build and your passion for saving the good old boats. I have just about as much fun working on project boats as I do fishing out of them and it really is a pretty cheap hobby relative to lots of others. I've owned some kind of boat since I was 13 years old and went out with my dad in his for years before that.
Current Craft: Lowe 1448 Big Jon, all aluminum transom, decks, console w/ Yamaha 40/30.
Previous: Cajun 185 w/150 Johnson, Tracker TX17 w/60 Mariner, 24' Pontoon w/60 Merc, Ozark Tri Hull F/S w/120 Evinrude, 16' Lowe Olympic Jon w/ 40 Mariner, 12' Lowe w/ 4.5 Merc, Coleman Scanoe, Ouachita alum canoe

meonline06

Post by meonline06 » 18 May 2016, 09:23

momule wrote:Pretty nice old fiberglass bass boat. They made those things heavy back in the day but there's still a lot of them catching fish. I had a 17' square stearned Ouchita(?) canoe some years ago and loved the Indian logo on the sides. That company must have been bought out or went out of business but they made a lot of aluminum boats in Arkansas for a long time. They are getting harder and harder to find.

Thanks for sharing your build and your passion for saving the good old boats. I have just about as much fun working on project boats as I do fishing out of them and it really is a pretty cheap hobby relative to lots of others. I've owned some kind of boat since I was 13 years old and went out with my dad in his for years before that.
I've been considering making the old glass boat my next project. I would like to have a boat for catfishing so I can keep the excess slime off my tin's carpet. The PO said it has a slow leak... I have no experience with fiberglass work, but I also have no problem learning as I go. I agree, working on the boats for me is as much fun as fishing out of them. I need to start keeping a completed project around however so I can fish out of that and not feel like I'm rushing my work. The call of the water is hard for me to ignore this time of year!

I started carpeting the front deck yesterday, but couldn't finish. I'll have to run to the store today and pick up another roll. I've been using the cheap outdoor carpet from Lowes. I had a roll left over from my last project but when I went to use it yesterday I realized that the grains didn't match up. I should be able to get to that today.

meonline06

Post by meonline06 » 18 May 2016, 20:18

Carpet is finished on the front deck. I drove around to every Lowes in my area earlier today and every last one of them were out of the carpet I'm using for this build. I ended up going to Home Depot and picking up the similar brand that they carry. I hate to use two different types of carpet, but I have a date with a lake tomorrow and needed to finish up. Oh well, pretty soon the boat will be too dirty to tell the difference...hopefully. I still have to finish the center hatch, so right now there is a hole in the face of the deck.

momule
Donor

Quachita 1648

Post by momule » 20 May 2016, 02:00

I love the huge front deck. Room enough for a couple bag chairs and a table! Or maybe a bimini top and a hammock.....and yes, I take a pretty relaxed approach to fishing...
Current Craft: Lowe 1448 Big Jon, all aluminum transom, decks, console w/ Yamaha 40/30.
Previous: Cajun 185 w/150 Johnson, Tracker TX17 w/60 Mariner, 24' Pontoon w/60 Merc, Ozark Tri Hull F/S w/120 Evinrude, 16' Lowe Olympic Jon w/ 40 Mariner, 12' Lowe w/ 4.5 Merc, Coleman Scanoe, Ouachita alum canoe

Big_ug_chevy

Post by Big_ug_chevy » 21 May 2016, 00:12

meonline06 wrote:
Big_ug_chevy wrote:I have a 14/48 1972 Quachita that I bought this January. I did a full restoration with a center console convert. Check it out on my profile! Fantastic boat you have there!
Thanks Big! I followed your build and it is pretty amazing. You paid a lot of attention to the details and it shows. I like what you did with the blue LEDs. I'm going to try and do something similar with red.

Yeah, I should have went with red myself. The blues are just too much, I will more than likely change them out.

meonline06

Post by meonline06 » 25 May 2016, 21:44

I did some work on the front hatches over the weekend and am just getting around to posting some pics. All I have left is to figure out what I want to use to keep the hatches open. I'm going to try some friction supports and if they don't work I may try to find some affordable struts. I was able to repurpose some piano hinges from my glass boat for the hatches to save some money.

BigLuke

Quachita 1648

Post by BigLuke » 27 May 2016, 09:24

You may try something like these. Very affordable, I have used them on overhead cabinet doors in my travel trailer.

meonline06

Post by meonline06 » 27 May 2018, 16:56

It has been 2 years since I last posted on this build. To be honest, I forgot I had started a thread for this one. I fished a few more times back in 2016 with the boat the way it was. I spent the majority of 2017 away from home, so I made no progress on the build until earlier this year.

I've done a good amount of work so far. At this point, the boat is completely functional as a fish hunting machine. If you're familiar with my old builds you know I never approach them in a logical way. Lol. My main goal is always to get out on the water as soon as possible, then I will polish things up as I go. That being said....right now she's all function and not a bit of polish.

I'll post some images of everything I've done tomorrow when I get off work. If the rain holds off I'll be spending Memorial Day on the water which should present some photo ops. The biggest changes from 2 years ago are the addition of an outboard, a console installed, all the decking is complete, and it's sitting on a new trailer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk