"Old Gold" - 1958 Alumacraft Deep C

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
mgros483

Post by mgros483 » 10 Jul 2014, 16:31

memyself » 10 Jul 2014, 15:25 wrote:How did you take out and install the inner transom? Did you have to drill out the rivets on the supports and re rivet? What about the end caps? Did you have to take those out?
Yes, you have to drill out the rivets in the support, then you have to pound the supports evenly toward the outer sides of the splashwell a few inches, then pound the front end of the support toward the centerline of the boat. It seems like it would be easier to just drill them out then pound the fronts outward, but it doesn't work that way. The supports must not quite be symmetrical or something.

This is really hard to explain in text, I wish you could see my hand movements, haha.

The end caps did not have to come out on mine, at least, just the screw going down into the inner transom board.

Getting it back in was a little tricky, but some work with a pry bar and a mallet got it in eventually and smashed my fingers numerous times in the process.
Marty

1958 Alumacraft Deep C - 15'
1976 Evinrude 40 hp long shaft - Model 40655A

Build thread here:
http://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=34712

Xtremeboats
mgros483

Post by mgros483 » 13 Jul 2014, 22:09

Finally finished varnishing the deck so I could start making some headway. Finished up what little I had left on the new battery cables and battery switch.

I installed the four swivl-eze pedestal bases with t-nuts into the 3/4" deck. I used loctite on all the screws, then proceeded to hammer all of the t-nuts from the back side, then flip it over and tighten the screws. Repeated this four times before the screws wouldn't tighten all the way. Might be useful info for anyone doing the same thing, if I just tightened them as tight as they would go the first time, I'm sure they would have worked loose in a short time. Since I'm carpeting over the bases, that would be a big problem.

Also (not in the pictures) I put some PL400 construction adhesive on the bottom of the bases before installing them. Probably overkill, but I really want these things to be sturdy since I'm not putting them through the aluminum benches.

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

Then I screwed down the deck with sheet metal screws into the benches and wood screws into my 2x4' bracing. I went overkill with these too, most likely.

ImageUntitled

Once everything was in I had to test out the seats and they work perfectly. No flex at all at the bases. Took pics of it in both modes, cruising with the seats down, and fishing up on the pin pedestals. Of course I sat on them and made pretend fishing motions in the yard. Scared the neighbors.

ImageUntitled

ImageUntitled

I used some bondo to patch up a few gaps, so that will be dried out tomorrow and I'll be ready for carpet. Getting closer to getting her in the water, can't wait.
Marty

Build thread here:

mgros483

Post by mgros483 » 16 Jul 2014, 11:03

Just a quick picture update, started carpeting. I used weldwood contact cement. I bought both that and outdoor adhesive, but once I tried the contact cement I was hooked. Very fast and easy to work with. Just lay out your pieces cut roughly where you want them, put weight on one half to hold it down in place, lay down cement on the deck and the carpet, wait a few minutes and slap it on. Still stayed wet enough to do some minor adjustments and trim the ends up to fit. Then when that's stuck, pull your weight off the other side and do the second half.

I'm very pleased with how quickly the carpet is going, would have finished the whole thing in one afternoon, but had to shoot on my trap league and then it looked like rain after that. Going to finish it up tonight.

I'm having flashbacks to my days of being a commercial floor layer...I wish I still had the skills I used to with carpet, my seams would look much better than they do, but I'm happy with it so far.

Untitled

Untitled
Marty

Build thread here:

Robvanbeck

Post by Robvanbeck » 17 Jul 2014, 23:10

LookIng good! Love this boat! Id love one like it for trolling outta Milwaukee. Maybe the next project.
Waterbeds travel in packs...

mgros483

Post by mgros483 » 21 Jul 2014, 10:54

Got Phase One of the carpet completed this weekend. I ran out of contact cement by the time I got to the final, center hatch lid, so I decided to use some of the indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive I bought but planned on returning. Let me tell you, contact cement is the way to go. I finished it off with the glue, but contact cement would have made the job much easier, especially wrapping the edges of the hatches. I ended up having to use a lot of stainless staples to hold it together right while it dried. The contact cement would have just stuck them in the right spot the first try.

Untitled
Yes, I know she's too old for a pacifier...a constant battle in my house.

Untitled

Untitled

I was originally going to put in recessed handles for the hatches, but decided to save some cash and just cut up an old strap I had to make some loops. They work well and were free to me.

Untitled

Untitled

Also got a lot of odds and ends done. Installed bilge pump, hooked up batteries, and ran the motor in a water tank to make sure everything was clicking. I am having a problem with my control cables being too short now that the deck is on and it has to make a couple of extra turns. If anyone has any tips, I'd like to hear them. I'm trying to figure out another way to route them now, but I really would like all of my cables/hoses to all come out of the center hole in my rod holder section by the splashwell. Anyone ever replace/extend control cables? Is it difficult/expensive?

I got my steering hooked up after a lot of cursing and repetitive work due to stupid mistakes. Finally ended up having to pull the whole cable out and off the drum and re-winding the whole deal....twice, because I wound it backward the first time. Word of advice for anyone dealing with cable and drum steering: Do a lot of thinking and figuring out how it works before you put it all together the wrong way. It seems simple, but for some reason it gave me a real hard time.

I'm currently kicking myself for not figuring out my fuel line situation before installing the deck. I got impatient because I didn't have the supplies to do it at the time and it's a long ride to a decent store out here. It's really a tight space to work and I'm hoping I don't end up having to just ditch my big metal tanks and switch to small plastic ones. We shall see.

Up next will be some more carpeting, installing front seats/swivels, figuring out and mounting the controls, and a lot of wiring.
Marty

Build thread here:

NextTopBassFisherman

Post by NextTopBassFisherman » 22 Jul 2014, 13:34

Looking good! =D>

Action
Donor

Post by Action » 22 Jul 2014, 19:37

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BayouSerpent

Post by BayouSerpent » 24 Jul 2014, 09:09

Wow, that came out very nice! Good to see a wood build on here, I have seen a lot of aluminum decking/framing. I like how it really comes down to the preference of the boat owner. Going to really review your post and learn a few tricks for my builds. Thanks for your hard work!
BayouSerpent
1969 Evinrude 85hp V4

Semper Fi

mgros483

Post by mgros483 » 16 Mar 2015, 11:54

The awesome Wisconsin weather has allowed me to get the rig out and keep making progress. I've been staring at it all winter just waiting to dig in again. Everything's starting to thaw out here, so I'm itchin' to get out on that soft water.

This weekend I got it uncovered and spent some time just cleaning it up and assessing the situation and got right to it.

I carpeted the front bench seat and installed the swivel bases and seats. It is finally starting to look like I had imagined.
Untitled by Photo 144, on Flickr

After that I got started on the electrical work, pullled all of the old rat's nest out and started rebuilding. Got the new ignition switch wired up but then found that the fuse in the motor is blown, so I have to pick one of those up. Next up is wiring up the bilge pump, nav lights, TM plug and fish finder. Then getting longer control cables and patching the rest of the million old bolt/screw holes. Might even paint it before I take it out, but probably not. Definitely want to replace my impeller/housing before I start boating and procrastinate it.

I have realized that if I just keep it pulled apart and on dry land until I get all of my dreams accomplished, it will be forever before I use it. So, I decided to just wait on carpeting the sides/floor, interior lighting, etc. until after I use it for a couple months. So I'm on the fast track to getting it done and on the water!

Placed an order today at Cabela's for a 2-bank on board charger. FYI they are having a sale on them and there's a free shipping deal if you spend $99. Not sure how long it lasts but thought I'd give everyone a heads-up.

Also ordered a windshield "gasket" from iboats. They have it cheaper than ebay if anyone is looking for one of those.
Marty

Build thread here:

jasper60103

Post by jasper60103 » 16 Mar 2015, 13:27

Yea, the weather was awesome this weekend and I can't wait to hit the water too.
I just noticed this thread.
That's a great looking project you got there.
Good luck.

-jasper
2018 Tracker Grizzly 1648
2018 30 HP Suzuki DF30A

mgros483

Post by mgros483 » 23 Jun 2015, 14:26

Just realized I haven't added to this in a bit. Just did a bunch of wiring, so nothing really worth taking pics of. But if anyone cares, there's a 2 bank onboard charger, switch panel (doesn't control anything yet, it's for future accessories), new nav lights and switches, trolling motor with a plug and a bilge pump.

Still to come is a fix for the windshield, stereo, interior lighting and of course a paint job. It gets hard to work on these things once it's in good enough shape to use though!

Here's a pic from this weekend in Northern Wisconsin

Marty

Build thread here:

CrappieSlayer36

Post by CrappieSlayer36 » 25 Jun 2015, 16:58

I purchased a 1960 deep c the other day. Drove about 6 hours round trip to go get it, but once I seen the logo on the side and knew what it was. I left 5 mins later cash in hand and now she is home and mine. The front window and front cover is missing from mine.

I am going to make her a tiller controlled fishing machine. Just got her back from the welder today fixing 55 years worth of mounted screw holes and what not. Those boats are built like tanks. I can't wait to start my mod.

VinTin

Post by VinTin » 25 Jun 2015, 21:40

The Deep C is a very well built ship!

I was lucky to find a 1956 Deep C in original unmolested condition about six months ago.

I've got a 1960 V-4 75hp Evinrude short shaft motor I hope to get on it soon.

It should rip up the water!

I"ve also got a 1956 Cruiseabout, a 1951 Model R and a 1956 FD, all in original condition.

Love these old Alumacraft ships!

sonny.barile

Post by sonny.barile » 26 Jun 2015, 00:01

Wow That is a pretty piece of history. Cant find anything like that where I live. The lines on those old boats are absolutely beautiful.

CMOS

Post by CMOS » 26 Jun 2015, 14:54

Darn fine build you have here. Magnificent.

CMOS
1982 Johnson 15 HP - in pieces, in progress
Currently boatless :(