UPDATE! Maybe tin no more

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
the hammer
Posts: 183
Joined: 08 Mar 2007, 15:39
Location: Taylors, SC

UPDATE! Maybe tin no more

Post by the hammer » 01 Oct 2019, 12:58

Considering a move from tin to plastic, Sun Dolphin Pro 120. Need to go to something smaller BUT wider, more stability.

Debating whether to sell "AS IS" or to put some time, effort and cash to square it away. Not like there's a lot to be done, don't get me wrong. I think a lot of guys would be putting a personal stamp anyway.
Last edited by the hammer on 25 Oct 2019, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2560
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Maybe tin no more

Post by LDUBS » 01 Oct 2019, 19:31

But wait. What? No more tin boat? Say it ain't so. :? :?

Good luck with the sale and the new boat search.
Have Rod - Will Fish

lovedr79
Posts: 2565
Joined: 07 Mar 2011, 19:58
Location: Harrisonburg, Va.

Maybe tin no more

Post by lovedr79 » 02 Oct 2019, 08:24

my buddy has one of those. it is ungodly heavy.
Grizzly 1448SC
Lowe 10' jon

User avatar
1960 yellowboat
Posts: 199
Joined: 24 Apr 2019, 08:04
Location: Homosassa Florida

Maybe tin no more

Post by 1960 yellowboat » 02 Oct 2019, 15:49

You're actually going to spend $2200 on a plastic boat?
Why not get a paddle boat and put a trolling motor on it?
To each his own, I guess

I just went to the Sun Dolphin website, that thing weighs 238 lbs. Has a 600 lb. capacity, and is 62 inches wide max.
I'd hate to have to muscle that around. Especially with a motor attached.

Oh well, it's your money
Good Luck

the hammer
Posts: 183
Joined: 08 Mar 2007, 15:39
Location: Taylors, SC

Maybe tin no more

Post by the hammer » 02 Oct 2019, 21:08

If there weren't extenuating circumstances, it wouldn't even be a consideration.

User avatar
gnappi
Posts: 626
Joined: 08 May 2017, 21:42
Location: Southeast Florida (Tri county)

Maybe tin no more

Post by gnappi » 03 Oct 2019, 11:56

My GF's son had one, it was HEAVY AND it leaked. The manufacturer did nothing but suggest things to stop the leaks. Ultimately he wrote the retailer and they took it back.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

the hammer
Posts: 183
Joined: 08 Mar 2007, 15:39
Location: Taylors, SC

Maybe tin no more

Post by the hammer » 03 Oct 2019, 16:15

1960 yellowboat wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 15:49
You're actually going to spend $2200 on a plastic boat?
Why not get a paddle boat and put a trolling motor on it?
To each his own, I guess

I just went to the Sun Dolphin website, that thing weighs 238 lbs. Has a 600 lb. capacity, and is 62 inches wide max.
I'd hate to have to muscle that around. Especially with a motor attached.

Oh well, it's your money
Good Luck
I'm not happy about it but there is a very good reason. I have some time to think on it.

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2560
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Maybe tin no more

Post by LDUBS » 03 Oct 2019, 17:05

Well it is your reasons and not someone else's that really matter.

About the old boat, unless you are pretty certain you will get more back than you put into upgrades, I would sell as is. The new owner can make it their own.
Have Rod - Will Fish

the hammer
Posts: 183
Joined: 08 Mar 2007, 15:39
Location: Taylors, SC

Maybe tin no more

Post by the hammer » 03 Oct 2019, 18:09

LDUBS wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 17:05
Well it is your reasons and not someone else's that really matter.

About the old boat, unless you are pretty certain you will get more back than you put into upgrades, I would sell as is. The new owner can make it their own.
I think it's going to be as is, as well. I'm still going to wait until spring to sell it though, prime boat sale season. Who knows, maybe another option will present itself.
I actually placed an order for a Dolphin 7 years ago and cancelled when I came to my senses. The situation was a bit different then.

User avatar
1960 yellowboat
Posts: 199
Joined: 24 Apr 2019, 08:04
Location: Homosassa Florida

Maybe tin no more

Post by 1960 yellowboat » 05 Oct 2019, 13:58

here are two boats you may consider.
A "Pondtoon" custom made 14 ft pontoon type boat made all out of aluminum.
14 ft long and 5 ft wide is the base model.
next is one 14 ft long and 6 ft wide
lastly 16 ft long and 6 ft wide.
www.boatsandfishing.com

Or a Craigcat.

kind of a double catamaran style
www.craigcat.com
good luck

the hammer
Posts: 183
Joined: 08 Mar 2007, 15:39
Location: Taylors, SC

Maybe tin no more

Post by the hammer » 07 Oct 2019, 10:24

1960 yellowboat wrote:
05 Oct 2019, 13:58
here are two boats you may consider.
A "Pondtoon" custom made 14 ft pontoon type boat made all out of aluminum.
14 ft long and 5 ft wide is the base model.
next is one 14 ft long and 6 ft wide
lastly 16 ft long and 6 ft wide.
www.boatsandfishing.com

Or a Craigcat.

kind of a double catamaran style
www.craigcat.com
good luck
Thanks for the time you've put into trying to find a NON plastic option for a boat for me. That's not sarcasm, absolutely heartfelt. A pontoon style boat isn't an option for either. The "best" option would probably be a Carolina skiff type boat. I need something with a wide hull for stability, in the 14' ballpark.
At least I have about 6 months before prime boat selling season.

ruffhunter
Posts: 15
Joined: 29 Apr 2019, 21:45

Maybe tin no more

Post by ruffhunter » 07 Oct 2019, 19:21

there are 1242 and 1248 welded jons available that would be my choice. those mini pontoons would be good.

User avatar
LDUBS
Posts: 2560
Joined: 14 Aug 2016, 22:25
Location: Clayton California

Maybe tin no more

Post by LDUBS » 07 Oct 2019, 23:47

How about a Livingston Boat. It is a glass boat. Guys say it is pretty stable. Looks like they make a 10', 12', 14' and other sizes. I have no idea about cost or availability.

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 8.46.05 PM.png
Have Rod - Will Fish

User avatar
gnappi
Posts: 626
Joined: 08 May 2017, 21:42
Location: Southeast Florida (Tri county)

Maybe tin no more

Post by gnappi » 10 Oct 2019, 15:31

Hammer, you haven't said what your width requirement is only that you need stability.

The Alweld 1242 is 61" wide and only an inch more or less (depending where you get the specs) with similar capacity than what you're contemplating. If you can go up a bit there are other tin boats from Lowe and alweld in the 14' class that are even wider with better max weight capacities.
Regards,

Gary (in South Florida)

the hammer
Posts: 183
Joined: 08 Mar 2007, 15:39
Location: Taylors, SC

Maybe tin no more

Post by the hammer » 10 Oct 2019, 15:52

gnappi wrote:
10 Oct 2019, 15:31
Hammer, you haven't said what your width requirement is only that you need stability.

The Alweld 1242 is 61" wide and only an inch more or less (depending where you get the specs) with similar capacity than what you're contemplating. If you can go up a bit there are other tin boats from Lowe and alweld in the 14' class that are even wider with better max weight capacities.
It's deck space, not just overall beam width.

Post Reply