Yeti Knockoffs

Talk about anything that floats your boat (no pun intended). This is general talk about anything not related to boating/fishing.
User avatar
New River Rat
Posts: 749
Joined: 10 Apr 2011, 06:19
Location: New River in Virginia
Contact:

Yeti Knockoffs

Post by New River Rat » 28 Aug 2016, 07:00

richg99 wrote:Whoops...you are correct. I was wrong....... The 30 oz is ONLY $$$$$28.00 Shheeeshh again.

I repeat....The world has gone mad.....

richg99


A cup for 28 bucks best be full of magic potions and mystical roots.....
My Tinny is a tool, a means to an end, if you will.

New River Smallies

Case Plastics Pro Staff

Xtremeboats
JMichael
Posts: 2926
Joined: 19 Jan 2012, 07:44
Location: Northeast Arkansas

Re: Yeti Knockoffs

Post by JMichael » 29 Aug 2016, 07:04

lckstckn2smknbrls wrote: I bought replacement latch, drain and hinges for my Igloo Marine cooler at Menards.
We typically take a short piece of 2" wide nylon tie down strap, cut off about 2.5" and melt each end to stop the fraying. Then we use the same screws that hold the hinges to the cooler to attach the nylon in place of the hinge. They work great and you'll never have to replace another hinge or worry about them breaking again.

JMichael
Posts: 2926
Joined: 19 Jan 2012, 07:44
Location: Northeast Arkansas

Yeti Knockoffs

Post by JMichael » 29 Aug 2016, 07:18

Ictalurus wrote:
DaleH wrote:Yeesh, who's making this stuff that a dayum soft-sided cooler co$ts $350? What is it, thermo-nano nuclear powered? Is it mil-spec for a NASA space mission to Mars? Dayum things (Yeti) are sooooo expensive you would think that Under Armor was making it ...

Rant over ...

I think Trump is making them in China!
I just hope it's not Hillary making them or the national debt will go up another 10 trillion. Or she'd rob the money from the social security fund to make them and give them away to everyone that hasn't paid any money in to SSI.

User avatar
jethro
Donor
Posts: 989
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:12
Location: Henniker, NH

Yeti Knockoffs

Post by jethro » 29 Aug 2016, 08:50

I laugh at the people on my Toyota forum who are all about Yeti coolers. They say "5 days of ice no problem!!" Those posers have never backcountry camped for 5 days in their life. I camp in the TRUE backcountry of North West Maine where there isn't an electrical outlet for 100 square miles, sometimes for 2 weeks at a time. And I can keep ice no problem for those entire 2 weeks with a 30 year old Igloo Marine 150 qt. cooler by using blocks of dry ice. I have camped with ice cream and frozen meat and vegetables and I don't need a roto-molded cooler to do it.
I fish, therefore, I am.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

JMichael
Posts: 2926
Joined: 19 Jan 2012, 07:44
Location: Northeast Arkansas

Yeti Knockoffs

Post by JMichael » 29 Aug 2016, 09:05

jethro wrote:I laugh at the people on my Toyota forum who are all about Yeti coolers.
The chemical co's (pesticides/herbacides) were giving Yeti's away to the local farmers as promotions for using their chemicals. The farmers weren't satisfied with just keeping them in the back of their trucks. They had to put something under them so they stuck up high enough over the bed to be seen by people as they drove by. Didn't take the local meth addicts long to figure out they could get a quick 50 bucks to support their habit by selling these coolers. They may be bear proof but they aren't addict proof. :)

The10Man
Posts: 120
Joined: 22 May 2015, 17:34
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Yeti Knockoffs

Post by The10Man » 29 Aug 2016, 09:32

JMichael wrote:
lckstckn2smknbrls wrote: I bought replacement latch, drain and hinges for my Igloo Marine cooler at Menards.
We typically take a short piece of 2" wide nylon tie down strap, cut off about 2.5" and melt each end to stop the fraying. Then we use the same screws that hold the hinges to the cooler to attach the nylon in place of the hinge. They work great and you'll never have to replace another hinge or worry about them breaking again.
Great tip. I wish I knew of this a few days ago. I actually just bought some replacement hinges and put them on the cooler this weekend. However, after installing them, they looked pretty cheap and flimsy and will probably snap in a very short time. When the new hinges do snap I'm going to be adding these DIY hinges.

User avatar
RiverBottomOutdoors
Posts: 1721
Joined: 20 Aug 2010, 14:46
Location: Halifax, Virginia
Contact:

Yeti Knockoffs

Post by RiverBottomOutdoors » 29 Aug 2016, 10:31

I bought a Canyon 22 this year after the top on my Coleman blew off going down the road. Showed up to opening day of Dove season in 95 degree sun with no top on my cooler....pissed. Decided to get something a little more rugged. I couldn't go full Yeti...so went with the Canyon which was $100 cheaper and has an awesome Claw gun sling instead of a handle. No buyer's remorse.

JMichael
Posts: 2926
Joined: 19 Jan 2012, 07:44
Location: Northeast Arkansas

Re: Yeti Knockoffs

Post by JMichael » 29 Aug 2016, 11:53

The10Man wrote: Great tip. I wish I knew of this a few days ago. I actually just bought some replacement hinges and put them on the cooler this weekend. However, after installing them, they looked pretty cheap and flimsy and will probably snap in a very short time. When the new hinges do snap I'm going to be adding these DIY hinges.
I bought this cooler about 6-7 years ago. Hinges broke the first year, so I replaced them. I only use this cooler to keep my fish in but during the spring/early summer bream spawn, it gets opened and closed anywhere from 15-100 times a day (depending on how good the fishing is that day), and it's still holding up. It's spent so much time in the sun that the once yellow nylon webbing is now bleached out and the outer plastic shell of the cooler has gotten brittle and breaking away. LoL
DSC00929.JPG
DSC00928.JPG

User avatar
richg99
Posts: 4884
Joined: 27 Nov 2010, 09:36
Location: Houston, TX & Crossville, TN

Yeti Knockoffs

Post by richg99 » 29 Aug 2016, 12:08

Some people Keep and Repair....some Throw away and Buy anew.

To each his own. richg99

The10Man
Posts: 120
Joined: 22 May 2015, 17:34
Location: Orlando, FL

Re: Yeti Knockoffs

Post by The10Man » 29 Aug 2016, 14:01

JMichael wrote:
The10Man wrote: Great tip. I wish I knew of this a few days ago. I actually just bought some replacement hinges and put them on the cooler this weekend. However, after installing them, they looked pretty cheap and flimsy and will probably snap in a very short time. When the new hinges do snap I'm going to be adding these DIY hinges.
I bought this cooler about 6-7 years ago. Hinges broke the first year, so I replaced them. I only use this cooler to keep my fish in but during the spring/early summer bream spawn, it gets opened and closed anywhere from 15-100 times a day (depending on how good the fishing is that day), and it's still holding up. It's spent so much time in the sun that the once yellow nylon webbing is now bleached out and the outer plastic shell of the cooler has gotten brittle and breaking away. LoL
DSC00929.JPG
DSC00928.JPG
I used to have that same cooler. It was actually the same color as well. It was great and I used it a ton. I also had a little inflatable boat/raft that I would blow up and the cooler would fit in perfectly and was snug enough to where it wouldn't fall out. I would then get in an inner tube and tie the raft to myself or the tube and float down the river or down the beach with a cooler full of beers. When at the beach on vacation several years ago someone must have seen all the fun I was having floating in the water and then stole it one night off my patio.

That was a great cooler! I wish I still had it. That cooler was involved in a lot of good times.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beagler1
Posts: 127
Joined: 01 Jun 2016, 14:11
Location: Croom, FL
Contact:

Re: Yeti Knockoffs

Post by beagler1 » 29 Aug 2016, 14:21

I saw one of these yesterday. I was like "nice a small affordable cooler i can actually afford" YEA RIGHT!!! This little thing is more expensive then the 20qt rhodie!! Wtf!!!!!!

Look at the price tag on the side of it!!
IMG_4588.JPG

Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom
Florida Outdoors Hunting & Fishing Forums
Http://www.FOHAF.com

beagler1
Posts: 127
Joined: 01 Jun 2016, 14:11
Location: Croom, FL
Contact:

Re: Yeti Knockoffs

Post by beagler1 » 29 Aug 2016, 14:22

279!!!!!


Sent from Mossy Oak Swamp Bottom
Florida Outdoors Hunting & Fishing Forums
Http://www.FOHAF.com

User avatar
jethro
Donor
Posts: 989
Joined: 25 Jul 2013, 16:12
Location: Henniker, NH

Yeti Knockoffs

Post by jethro » 30 Aug 2016, 08:59

Small, soft coolers for $279. Un-freaking-believable.
I fish, therefore, I am.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

User avatar
Jim
Site Admin
Posts: 17459
Joined: 29 Nov 2006, 21:00
Location: Shrewsbury, MA
Contact:

Yeti Knockoffs

Post by Jim » 30 Aug 2016, 10:26

Someone's buying them, or they would not be making/selling them.

Not me though. :LOL2:
Be Respectful!
This site is rated PG, No Politics, No Porn, No Bashing allowed!

The10Man
Posts: 120
Joined: 22 May 2015, 17:34
Location: Orlando, FL

Yeti Knockoffs

Post by The10Man » 30 Aug 2016, 15:09

jethro wrote:Small, soft coolers for $279. Un-freaking-believable.
I agree. I can think of very few instances where I would need to keep ice and the contents of a cooler cold for more than a day or so.

Of those few instances, I would have to have a much larger cooler as I'd be needing to keep more than just a 6 pack cold.

What purpose does this tiny $279 Yeti cooler serve?

Post Reply