It is currently 22 Sep 2018, 17:11
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

SliderG5

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 12:16 

Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:38
Posts: 74
Location: North Central IL USA
Lately I'm hearing you should change your shocks every 50K. Anyone do this or is this BS? I got 160K on my originals. Wondering if I should put on new ones????


Offline
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 12:20 
User avatar

Joined: 13 Apr 2009, 21:52
Posts: 2651
Location: Top of the Food Chain
I'll call BS. My jimmy still has the original rear shocks, and I just hit 297,000 this week. I had to replace the front ones because the dirt roads managed to put a crack in one. I don't change them until they go bad.. If it ain't broke, don't even look at them funny.

People who are looking to make a buck off of a product will try to group their stuff in with other routine/preventative maintenance checks, but I don't see shocks falling in that category.



_________________
Tracker TX17~40HP Force
Past Projects:
1648~40HP Mariner
1432~45lb MG
Michimaniac
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 12:31 
User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2009, 14:41
Posts: 427
Location: Delaware
BS. Change when needed



_________________
Capt. Neckbeard
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 12:45 
User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2010, 14:53
Posts: 1190
Location: Six Lakes, MI.
yeah BS..... don't change em till they need to be.



_________________
14' Sea Nymph
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=13160
Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 12:51 
User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2008, 15:45
Posts: 3075
Location: KY Lake
Exactly.. change them only when needed... but make sure you test them out to see when you need them.

Bounce the vehicle from the bumpers by placing your weight on it and suddenly release (like jump off or just push down one good time). If it rebounds and bounces over a couple of times and does not settle out quickly, you should probably look into replacing the shocks. That's not an exact test but it gives you a pretty good idea of the state of your shocks.

Some go at 30k, some at 50k and some don't ever seem to go.


Last edited by Quackrstackr on 02 Sep 2010, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.


_________________
Paddle faster... I hear banjos

Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 12:56 
User avatar

Joined: 01 Sep 2010, 18:28
Posts: 31
Location: California
Quackrstackr wrote:
Exactly.. change them only when needed... but make sure you test them out to see when you need them.

Bounce the vehicle from the bumpers by placing your weight on it and suddenly release (like jump off or just push down one good time). If it rebounds and bounces over a couple of times and settle out quickly, you should probably look into replacing the shocks. That's not an exact test but it gives you a pretty good idea of the state of your shocks.

Some go at 30k, some at 50k and some don't ever seem to go.


Agreed, this is the test I've always done and hasn't lead me astray at this point. Manufactures and 3rd parties are just looking for a dollar, even when it is time to replace, they aren't to hard to do yourself. Call a buddy, get a 12 pack, and you'll be set.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 13:25 
User avatar

Joined: 18 Jan 2009, 20:22
Posts: 1690
Location: Central Illinois
When you change your shocks is up to you, however realize shocks play a role in tire longevity, ball joint longevity, tie-rods, braking, etc. Basically your suspension works as a unit, if one aspect is weak or failing the others will suffer. IF you let them go, you could be looking at replacing all the other parts as well. Including new tires.

Worn shocks also play a huge role in your vehicles ability to stop safely. It will take your vehicle longer to stop with worn shocks compared to new shocks.

Yes, there is a reason for the recommendation... And NO it's not to drum up business. They could care less if you replace your shocks, there isn't much money to be made in replacing them.



_________________
HOI Crappie Club
Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.


'97 16' Sylvan Back Troller Select
'67 14' Alumacraft
'57 Model FD11 18-hp Johnson Seahorse
'09 Traverse FWD V6 w/ towing package, power sun and moon roof, and ton of other options. The only one I wanted was the towing package. :mrgreen:
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 13:56 

Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:38
Posts: 74
Location: North Central IL USA
Hanr3 wrote:
When you change your shocks is up to you, however realize shocks play a role in tire longevity, ball joint longevity, tie-rods, braking, etc. Basically your suspension works as a unit, if one aspect is weak or failing the others will suffer. IF you let them go, you could be looking at replacing all the other parts as well. Including new tires.




Makes sense. I'm getting new tires next week. Only have 44k on these. Typically I get over 60k.


Offline
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 14:05 

Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 16:54
Posts: 2046
Location: North Charleston S.C.
gregk9 wrote:
Makes sense. I'm getting new tires next week. Only have 44k on these. Typically I get over 60k.



Get the front end alignment when you replace your tires. That will help get more mileage from your tires. If they find any loose or worn parts they can not get the alignment right and then you can have them replace the parts now.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 14:16 
User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2008, 15:45
Posts: 3075
Location: KY Lake
KMixson wrote:
gregk9 wrote:
Makes sense. I'm getting new tires next week. Only have 44k on these. Typically I get over 60k.



Get the front end alignment when you replace your tires. That will help get more mileage from your tires. If they find any loose or worn parts they can not get the alignment right and then you can have them replace the parts now.


That is true but some tire compounds and tread patterns just wear faster than others, too.



_________________
Paddle faster... I hear banjos

Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 17:16 

Joined: 08 Jun 2009, 19:38
Posts: 74
Location: North Central IL USA
Quackrstackr wrote:

That is true but some tire compounds and tread patterns just wear faster than others, too.


Both sets were the same make/model.


Offline
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Changing Shocks On Truck
PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010, 17:41 
User avatar

Joined: 27 Apr 2008, 15:45
Posts: 3075
Location: KY Lake
gregk9 wrote:
Quackrstackr wrote:

That is true but some tire compounds and tread patterns just wear faster than others, too.


Both sets were the same make/model.


Unfortunately, that doesn't necessarily mean that they were identical in construction.



_________________
Paddle faster... I hear banjos

Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 36 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Wired2fish