It is currently 19 Dec 2018, 06:02
Join the free forum or login with your account and the annoying banner goes away

Xtremeboats

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 4 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2018, 15:39 
Donor

jrl5678 wrote:
If you buy a 16' side console jon boat, from a big box store, how much engine would you put in it?

Is there someone here who will try to convince me to not buy a side console and stick with a tiller?

If I save my pennies on one thing and spend them on another what should I skimp on and what should I spend on?

My rule with motor size is at least 3/4 of the rated capacity. If the boat is rated for 100hp, get at least a 75. And do your best to max the horsepower if possible.

A tiller boat is awesome for all that space, but if you ever troll then you'll want remote steering. I also find smaller, lighter boats are challenged with weight distribution if they are tillers.

My only real firm requirement from now on is power tilt. I would make sure whatever motor I got had power tilt. Of course if it ends up being a tiller that is less important to have, but I would not get a tiller boat.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 10:02 

[quote="richg99"]
One is a 1652 G3 Camo side-console with a 50 hp Johnson 2 cycle and the other a 1756 Lowe side console with a 50 hp Mercury 2 cycle.

I can tell you that the 1756 Lowe feels a LOT larger than the 1652 G3, though the 1652 G3 is better for my saltwater needs. It should run a bit shallower. I am considering adding a Jackplate and Smart Tabs onto the 1652.

richg99, Thank you, It took me longer to respond than I meant it to be.

I have a question about motors, do you feel the 50 is about the same even thought the 17 is bigger and heavier? a 16 side-console seems to be the right size one for me. I think a tin boat for ease of maintenance. I kind of just want to putter around in a boat with enough motor and a comfortable seat.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 10:21 

With their 50's, both boats run around 27/29 mph on the GPS. That isn't totally flat out.

But, it is plenty fast enough for me. I know some guys have a "Need For Speed", but I'm older and wiser now. Getting to a fishing site ten minutes quicker holds no alure anymore.

It's the width that holds the most value for me. Wider is slower but more stable. If I was young and had better balance, then I might feel differently.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 11:23 

This thread made me see that I'm not alone. Collecting firearms, guitars, and even motorcycles pale in comparison to wanting boats. When I lived on the water I had 80+ feet of dock/seawall to fill but luckiny I no longer have space to indulge myself with more than one boat.

Of course that doesn't stop me from cruising Craig's list every week looking... just looking. I love my 10' Lowe, I don't need another boat, I don't want another boat :-)

NOT!

Gary (in South Florida)

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 11:24 

Keep saying that ... Gary. Ha Ha.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 14:48 

Perfect Boat. IMO it is difficult for anyone to know what the perfect boat might be until you have been on a boat for a while. Then, you know what you like, don’t like, wish you had, and wish you didn’t have. Short of that, feedback from places like TB is invaluable.

The perfect boat is obviously going to be one that will meet someone’s needs. What should be even more obvious is if you don’t have fun using the boat, then something is wrong. Everyone’s needs might vary. Here are mine:

My boating conditions are fairly homogeneous. With rare exceptions I will be at lakes with improved ramps. Fishing (trolling) is the primary use. I’m lucky that one boat can meet my needs.

Capacity/stability: More is always going to be better. Generally means a larger boat.

Comfort: For my use that means remote steering. Good seating is obvious. Canvass for protection form sun/rain. Gear storage kind of falls in this category too. I don’t want to have to load the boat every time I use it, so the more I can permanently keep on the boat the better. Again, a larger boat is usually going to deliver more comfort.

Ease of use – This is a high priority for me. I need something that I can launch/retrieve single handedly. I don’t want to have to struggle with this. Want it to be easy to tow & easy to store. This is a conflicting need because in this case a smaller & lighter boat is better.

Reliability is extremely important. All require preventive maintenance. More I can do myself the better, though I am not a knowledgeable mechanic.

Upkeep: I don’t want to worry about or have to spend a lot of time polishing, waxing, buffing (actually I don’t want to spend any time doing this). Don’t want to use fenders. Don’t want to worry about dock rash. For me this means Tin boat all the way.

Speed: I’m not entering any races, but of course want to get there with reasonable speed.

Cost: No one wants to pay more than they have to. For most of us this is going to be a major driving factor. Mrs Ldubs in her wisdom says don’t sacrifice what you want to save a few bucks (within budget of course). She is right as usual because doing that is likely to cost you more in the long run.

I think my current boat is a pretty good balance to meeting my overall needs. Sure there are much nicer boats in the same class, but not enough better that I would want to change. All of this of course doesn’t include all of the tweaking/accessorizing that seems to never stop.

PS: As a side story, I bought my current boat at a boat show. The dealer had run an extension cord to a 4’ fluorescent light that he hung up under the canvass top. Mrs Ldubs, not being familiar with boats, asked him if the “big light” came with the boat. The guy was completely dumbfounded. I wish I had a photo of the look on his face. Anyway, I guess I don't need a 4' fluorescent light on my "perfect boat". Haha

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2018, 16:42 
Donor

Let's see if this helps you out ...

Hager-Buying-Boat.jpg

#1) 1st tin rebuild, 18' Lund viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36583
#2) 25' Parker refurb from EMPTY hull http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/vie ... p?f=15&t=6
#3) 16' V-tin rebuild viewtopic.php?f=21&t=36465
#4 Procraft SV14
#5) 16' Starcraft entirely NEW Transom Skins viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37548

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2018, 10:57 

Proverbial question. Try to find a boat that is good at what you do most of the time.
Personally speaking a jon boat is out because it is not seaworthy enough, not enough freeboard. Open boats are out because I fish in bad weather. Same with rear tiller. I like a boat with a windshield and canvas and a wheel. I can control both engines aft when fishing.

I also have a 16 foot cataraft and 3 canoes for rivers. I am looking to buy a drift boat. The search never ends reallly.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 10:52 

I want an old school run about. I want to sit in a comfortable chair with my Girl and tool around the water.
I think a tin boat because a little less maintenance on the hull, I am not super in need for speed. just enough to get out of the way if I need to.
If I could find something wider than a 16/48 SC for a good price I would get a wider one. HP is the expensive part and I am not sure where I a going with that.
One of our sponsors has a couple nice cushion back support bench seats for a Jon.

Do you guys have feelings about trailers?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 11:06 

Feelings??? Not sure what you mean by that. I have two. Each rigged similarly. Love the way both work.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 11:44 
Donor

jrl5678 wrote:

Yeah, trailers suck to the high heavens, every single thing about them! Those are my feelings. Towing them, backing them up, parking them, paying for them, those friggin' lights, small tires that don't last long and take high pressures, greasing the hubs, replacing bearings... there isn't one good thing about trailers but they are a necessary evil. If I could teleport my boat to the water and my sleds to the trails, I would never own another damn trailer again.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 13:04 

jethro wrote:
jrl5678 wrote:

Yeah, trailers suck to the high heavens, every single thing about them! Those are my feelings. Towing them, backing them up, parking them, paying for them, those friggin' lights, small tires that don't last long and take high pressures, greasing the hubs, replacing bearings... there isn't one good thing about trailers but they are a necessary evil. If I could teleport my boat to the water and my sleds to the trails, I would never own another damn trailer again.

Before reading your post, I had no idea of the breadth for my dislike of my trailer. I am enlightened and agree 100%. Oh you missed the registration fees, bunk replacement, depreciation and rust! :-)

My option in my advancing years to minimize my problems in life was to get a full size pickup truck, downsize my boat, go all electric and hand launch. The benefits (for me) outweigh the option of needing a trailer.

I can get places I only dream of needing a ramp filled with traffic, newbies, and dolts, I generally have zero competition on the water with other vessels (other than the odd yak), there are more fish, the fish are uneducated towards lures, and it's deadly quiet... almost prehistorically so. And when I get home, I unload and I'm done. No engine flush, no gas tank filling, no engine problems.

The only real drawback is the lack of speed and maybe size. But I liken an all electric boat to owning a sailboat instead of a stinkpotter, you're not getting anywhere fast, but when you get there you're so much more relaxed. It's also like owning a small condo, you keep and store things you REALLY need, not everything you want :-)

I have a trailer but I keep the useless POS to store the boat on in my yard.

Gary (in South Florida)

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 15:16 

Well now I asked for that ear full.

I was more asking about style, rigging, suspension type, used new are more expensive trailers worth the more money? painted AL galvanized?

But I hear that most of you like boats and hate trailers?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 15:25 

As far as trailers go...I've only had leaf types. I do read that some people swear by torsion axles. Our tinboats are pretty light, so the standard leaf springs seem to work well enough, at least for me.

Most of my trailers have been Galvanized, due to my use in saltwater on the Texas Gulf flats.

I like to add some PVC Gutter Downspouts (cut in half) onto the top of the bunks. Makes launching and recovery easier and you never are bothered with carpeting wearing out. Replacing the PVC ,..which, after 2 1/2 years I have yet had to do,... costs under $20.00.

Some fancy bass boats have multi-bunked; candy-apple-fleck painted trailers that cost more than my entire rig, motor and all.

To each his own.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2018, 18:58 

"Before reading your post, I had no idea of the breadth for my dislike of my trailer"

Holy cow, now that I think about it I feel the same way. But I can't put the boat in the water without it so I guess they really are a necessary evil. I would ask my personal butler to arrange for the boat to be waiting in the water, but I need a big lottery payoff before that is going to happen. Hahaha

"I was more asking about style, rigging, suspension type, used new are more expensive trailers worth the more money? painted AL galvanized?"

Mine is galvanized. Had painted in the past too. No real feedback. Both worked well for me.

I have a torsion axle. I haven't had any problems that I can recognize and it seems OK. That is about all I can say because I really only understand the very basics of how they even work (I kind of don't even want to think about rubber cords twisting around inside the axle). Anyway, they are supposed to be smoother ride, better handling and maintenance free. On the other hand they cost more and can't really be repaired like a leaf spring suspension. Shoot, I had to go to the owner's manual to even figure out where to put the jack.

My trailer also has Knott Waterproof Hubs, which are another no maintenance item. I talked to my trailer mfg to confirm that no bearing maintenance is needed. I was told zero maintenance is required and they work well. I was also told not to open them up. I'm good with that.

I put short side bunks on my trailer so that the boat aligns and sets perfectly on the bunks when I pull it out of the water. I think it is well worth the time to tweak the bunks so the boats fits perfectly.

Rich is correct in his comments above about the bunk coverings. My carpeted bunks are less than a year old and already need replacing.

Page 3 of 4 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next